Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien

I have a State Tax Lien in CA filed in 2002 and paid in 2005.

Does anyone have any tips to get it deleted from Credit Reports? 

I have tried the dispute as Not Mine but the problem is, tax liens are simply to easy for the CRA to verify...they simply notify their vendor who sends a person to the office the next day and it takes about 15 minutes to verify.

Any help would be appreciated...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Tax Lien

@Anonymous wrote:

I have tried the dispute as Not Mine but the problem is, tax liens are simply to easy for the CRA to verify...they simply notify their vendor who sends a person to the office the next day and it takes about 15 minutes to verify.

Disputing items as "Not Mine" which are legitimately yours are a violation of the myFICO TOS. Please read:

Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines

If I misunderstood you, I apologize. I'm moving this thread to Rebuilding Your Credit in case you need to clarify. But if you are in fact disputing a legitimate (albeit annoying) entry on your credit reports, this thread will be locked and deleted. --thanks

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 08-28-2008 08:17 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ffudj wrote:

You need to call the state and ask if they will have it vacated. Never dispute a baddie as it will update and may cause your scores to drop.

If the state will NOT vacated it then there is nothing that you can do.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am about to get married --but have a tx lien and dont want my new wife to get anything on her credit. Can they attach the lien to her? How can I avoid?

Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i am about to get married --but have a tx lien and dont want my new wife to get anything on her credit. Can they attach the lien to her? How can I avoid?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Is it paid?

They should not be able to attach it to her.  Especially if you are not in a community property state and because it happened before you were married.

However, I have to say I have seen where, in a community property state, a debt accured and was defaulted on long before the marriage, was taken from the other spouse.  The IRS reasoning was that she was responsible for the debt just like he was because they were married and when it occured made no difference.

I would call the IRS and ask them.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Any competent attorney would be able to un-attach any debt incurred before marriage, even in a community property state,  from any legal obligation of the new spouse to that debt prior  that was not incurred after entry into the final legal matrimony contract.......

Unless the matrimony contract, in additiion to "love, honor, and (*maybe) obey, included the absurd promise to also "honor all debts incurred by the marital partner prior to the marriage contract."  I doubt that was a part of the marital vows.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS CAN take the money for the lien, but it can be mitigated by attached an injured spouse form to the tax returns in question.  As far as other assets, generally if there are innocent parties in joint ownership to property, the IRS will not levy or sieze it unless steps were made to hide assets or avoid payment of tax.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The IRS CAN take the money for the lien, but it can be mitigated by attached an injured spouse form to the tax returns in question.  As far as other assets, generally if there are innocent parties in joint ownership to property, the IRS will not levy or sieze it unless steps were made to hide assets or avoid payment of tax.

Exactly!

If a joint return is filed, the IRS will zap the total amount.  One's spouse then has to file for relief as an injured spouse. 

Additionally, while they will not generally seize property owned jointly with innocent parties, they will generally place liens against them.

I do not see OP's tax liens being reported on his new wife's credit reports.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.