cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Liens and Judgments stricter requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Liens and Judgments stricter requirements.

I received an email on 07/19 from Credit Karma stating the new reporting law. I check all 3 reports and ALL ELEVEN judgements that were listed on my reports are now gone.  My bk that was discharged in 2010 and a state tax lein that was paid in 2014 are still listed. I cannot tell if my score has gone up, I keep getting varing scores from varing sites.  

Message 21 of 45
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@yapsalot wrote:

Yes, there are industry news reports in last few days that July 10 is the date, not July 1, as earlier reported in the general media. The identifiers have to be in the court document or the credit bureaus will remove it from the reports. If I recall correctly, the judgment or tax lien must contain the persons name and address and, this is where it gets fun, either the date of birth or the social security number or both, I can't remember. Here in Florida where I live the state privacy laws do not allow a social security number to be listed in a judgment. I've seen probably two or three hundred judgments filed in Florida and never once have I seen one that had a social security number or a date of birth. All you have to do is check the court or the county records where the judgment is located for a copy of the judgment or tax lien. In Florida we can get them online for the entire state in minutes. If there's no SSN or DOB, that baby is going and soon. It will still be on file with the county but it won't be on the credit reports. There are some other threads on this topic. I think one in the news section in which numerous posters mention disputing judgments in the last few days for lack of SSN and DOB and they got instant removals. By next week they might all be gone even without a dispute. And depending on the circumstances, that could cause a massive score increase. I got a judmgnet deleted last year for unrelated reasons and my score jumped 80 points, probably because it was the only negative item.

Does it have to be the full SS# on the paperwork or is the last 4 of the SS? My tax lien has just the last 4 digits and no DOB

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 22 of 45
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

Not sure if a partial is sufficient, I doubt it is, but its been a long time since I looked at the order. Google it and find the order and see what it says because if the full social security number is required, you have good basis for a bureau dispute that will result in the removal of the lien.

Yapsalot
Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have any luck with this.  I'm in the same boat and would love to hear more.

Message 24 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you have any luck with this.  I'm in the same boat and would love to hear more.

I'm in the same situation. I have 5 liens with the same liens indicating they are paid for a total of 10 liens being reported! I guess I'll have to locate the liens and dispute them all individually. Frustrating! Any ideas from anyone?

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a federal tax lien which shows my name, address and only the last 4 of my SS# (no D.O.B).

I called Experian and disputed. They deleted within 2 weeks

I called both TU and EQ and both gave me the run around. with TU I even faxed in a copy of the lien. Which does not have sufficient data for them to keep it reporting. Without the "full SS#" or D.O.B the new law says it should be removed.

Finally, I put in a complaint with CFPB for TU and EQ on the 13th day, TU responded, apologized and removed the lien.

EQ changed it to showing paid, and had launched yet another investigation (this was on August 28th). They responded to CFPB stating that the "consumer has not been in communication since the investigation", "We have launched a reinvestigation and the findings will be sent via mail within 30 days". So far, the lien still shows on EQ and 30 days will be Thursday. I'm inclined to contact CFPB by phone, but figure I will wait the 30 days. I don't know if they have been so caught up with the breach that it has fallen by the wayside or they are just taking their sweet time. I'm not sure why EQ is being so hard about this while EX and TU are following the new law.

Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oddly I had to create a new account to reply but your luck is better than mine so far on this.  It's only been a week since I did my fcba complaints so hoping for some better outcomes from that but I first went direct with all 3 agencies with faxing certified copies of this filing that lacked the full social (only last 4) Nor a date of birth.  Experian, my new heroes, said no on the phone but after attaching the certified copies of the original and paid fillings deleted it the next day.  Oddly they are the one I have a paid account with since you can get a mortgage specific score too.  Transunion I've been getting more of the run around.  They basically can careless about what I sent them and disputed with the court and after multiple calls, escalations, re-faxes and not being called back consider their confirmation form the court as good enough to keep it on.  The last supervisor conversation resulted in my being denied proof that anything has my full social or date of birth on it.   Equifax, which requires a lot of patience for the hold time these days, told me they weren't taking it off since the court verified it.  Almost sounded that they sent my full social to the court and are using that to meet the filing requirements.  They are sending the courts response so we'll see. The last two are brutal as they seem to be asking the court to verify the missing info instead of just deleting like the courtesy they gave to millions others 

Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alanfrank15

I just got my response from EQ through CFPB and they are totally relentless! Although they say they veriefied through 3rd party, not the court. Funny thing is that wherever they have verified it through shows it paid and its not, so I don't trust they are truly verifying it. TU removed after complaint through CFPB.

Tuesday, I sent a written dispute to EQ CMRRR with a copy of the lien. I honestly think that EQ thinks that people are disputing ownership rather than the fact that it doesn't have the new enhanced requirements to keep it on.

Fingers crossed that my efforts pan out on this one this time.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ uses a 3rd party that will claim verifed anything. When we had our id theift and tax lien as result Equifax reported the lien under both dw and mine profile and said the info came from 3rd party. We ended up with CFPB complaints against them and the 3rd party never had any records on dw. But Equifax claimed they got the info from 3rd party. 

It was finally resolved  Exp and TU were much easier to work with.   

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

EQ has been so frustrating!

Hoping this last effort for me does it!

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.