cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Liens.

tag
Raider1975

Tax Liens.

Hi. I am new here but been lurking on here for awhile. I have a question. I filed bankruptcy back in 2009 ch. 7. I have been rebuilding my credit pretty nicely. Well i checked my credit report and have 2 tax liens i did not know about. They are from 2006. Should i pay these or not? Since my discharge i have an auto loan, and 4 credit cards. Dont know what to do. One is $966 the other is $761.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax Liens.

@Raider1975 wrote:

Hi. I am new here but been lurking on here for awhile. I have a question. I filed bankruptcy back in 2009 ch. 7. I have been rebuilding my credit pretty nicely. Well i checked my credit report and have 2 tax liens i did not know about. They are from 2006. Should i pay these or not? Since my discharge i have an auto loan, and 4 credit cards. Dont know what to do. One is $966 the other is $761.

Are they state tax liens or federal tax liens?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many tax liens have fairly substantial statutes of limitation, so you might first check that out.

Unlike other adverse items reported to your credit file, the 7 year period for CR exclusion does not even begin until the lien is paid.

So your 7 year period has yet to begin.

And subsequent action, should you remain delinquent, may not be under your control.  They may take legal action for recovery.

Tax liens are not items to be taken lightly.

Message 3 of 5
Raider1975

They are state liens. I had 4 but disputed 2 and they were removed. My TU score on here is 676 and my equifax is 640. If i pays these off now will it have any or no effect?
Message 4 of 5
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

I had one on my report. My county (which I searched online) listed it as closed, but it was still on my CR.  Funny thing was it wasnt even a real tax lien. It was a judgement from a CA trying to be tricky. May be worth a few call unless you know for sure.

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.