Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Refund Dropped- Paid off all our cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Refund Dropped- Paid off all our cards

Just got my tax refund and decided to pay off all my credit cards. 2 Capital One, Credit One, First National, Best Buy, Wally, Kohls, Kay and a closed Discover; about $9k after all was said and done. I probably should have posted before doing so, but I had to get rid of the money before temptation set in. Now I'm just wondering if this was the best strategy. If not, and even if it was, what steps can I take going toward to get my credit where it needs to be. Thanks for all input.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
giosan32
Valued Member

Re: Tax Refund Dropped- Paid off all our cards

Im expecting my tax refund next week and will do the same.  I just have to stay strong and just use my cards for an occasional tank of gas.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

after all your cards report the 0/low balances... see where your scores are and check for some pre-qualified offers. definately start paying in full so this doesnt happen again and you can keep your refund next year   :]

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep would be nice to keep it all next year. Do you think I should close Credit One and First National?
Message 4 of 6
giosan32
Valued Member

That would be nice to keep my entire refund one year

Message 5 of 6
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

Great use of your refund!  I will do the same but only have about $3,000 to pay down.

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.