Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax lien/judgment Question

tag
vader77
Established Member

Tax lien/judgment Question

So, I've been rebuilding my credit for about a year and a half with a lot of success.  Had a lot of success getting items removed and cleaning past issues up.  I had about $10,000 in medical bills, some on my reports, some not, from cancer surgery in 2010 and I have some state tax issues.  So, for the last year I have been clearing up the medical bills and am about $1000 away from finishing up completely.  Next in line was the state tax issues.  Well, the state tax issues got me before I got them.  I received a notice from the state of Maryland of "Lien of Judgment for Unpaid Tax" for 2009 for $577.  My fault, I know.  My questions 1. Does every Judgment or lien get reported to the credit bureaus, is it automatic?  I called the # on the notice and they told me they do not report to the bureaus.  Who does the reporting?  2.  How long does it take, my scores from myfico are 699 TU and 650 EQ and I was planning on buying a car later this month.  Any Idea how long I have and how much it will effect my score?  Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax lien/judgment Question

Too early yet...somebody will jump on this.

Message 2 of 5
electra
Established Contributor

@vader77 wrote:

So, I've been rebuilding my credit for about a year and a half with a lot of success.  Had a lot of success getting items removed and cleaning past issues up.  I had about $10,000 in medical bills, some on my reports, some not, from cancer surgery in 2010 and I have some state tax issues.  So, for the last year I have been clearing up the medical bills and am about $1000 away from finishing up completely.  Next in line was the state tax issues.  Well, the state tax issues got me before I got them.  I received a notice from the state of Maryland of "Lien of Judgment for Unpaid Tax" for 2009 for $577.  My fault, I know.  My questions 1. Does every Judgment or lien get reported to the credit bureaus, is it automatic?  I called the # on the notice and they told me they do not report to the bureaus.  Who does the reporting?  2.  How long does it take, my scores from myfico are 699 TU and 650 EQ and I was planning on buying a car later this month.  Any Idea how long I have and how much it will effect my score?  Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

That's correct that they do not report directly to the bureaus.  What happens is that the lien will be filed with the county recorders office.  The CRAs hire other agencies/people to troll the county records and from there they get added to your CRs.  Once added they are close to impossible to remove until they drop either 7 years after being paid or 10 years unpaid (unless they refile).  They are a major derogatory and will tank your score.  The amount of the hit will depend on what else is on your report but it could be huge...up to 100 point drop.  Sorry, not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.  State tax liens are probably the worst because they are like nuclear winter to your report and so hard to remove.  I would check to see if they have some sort of withdrawal procedure if you pay it.  It's unlikely...seems like most don't but worth checking out. 

Your scores are not terrible right now so I would go out immediately and buy a car before this hits your reports.  It's impossible to say how long it will take. Could be days after hitting the county recorder , months or even never.  

Sorry about your difficulties with your health. Hope you are all clear now. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, not every lien and/or judgment gets reported.  Why, I have no idea.  But, I would assume it will just to prepare yourself. 

Message 4 of 5
vader77
Established Member

Thanks for all the info.  Fingers crossed.  I'll call them back on Monday to see if they have a withdraw procedure.  And thanks for asking, health is all good now.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.