Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax lien to be released soon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax lien to be released soon

I have been making payments on a  state tax lien that was filed in Jan of this year for almost $3,000. Next month I should be able to get it released...should I expect any increase in my score? It had been reporting on two of the three CRAs and just last week it hit the last one....making my score drop 34pts. I was hoping to get a few of these points back.  I was curious what others experiences have been.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax lien to be released soon

Good question. Are liens the same as judgments and collections? I know paying those off usually does not result in any score increase...
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid tax leins stay on your reports for seven years from date of payment in full.  I have not been successful in getting the IRS to remove it for me, but I still try.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Good question. Are liens the same as judgments and collections? I know paying those off usually does not result in any score increase...

The real difference in paid (or released) tax liens and judgments/collections, is that the CRTP "clock" only begins "ticking" after it's been paid. Meaning, a tax lien will continue to report indefinitely if unpaid, while a PAID tax lien will fall off 7 years after the date its released.

Judgments and collections do not have that kind of status and will fall off after 7 years regardless of whether they're paid or not.

And yup, we have one on our CRs, too. Paid in April this year and should fall off EX & EQ (when it was released, TU just deleted it for some reason -- not complaining, of course) in the year 2015. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderin....did you have any kind of jump in points when you got it paid off?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid or unpaid makes no difference to fico scoring
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wonderin....did you have any kind of jump in points when you got it paid off?

Nope. Peeler's right ... FICO sees paid and unpaid tax liens (or judgments, collections, etc) the same and scores'em as such.

BUT, once it was paid, we got more pre-approvals and were actually approved for credit. Even though FICO doesn't penalize you MORE for an unpaid tax lien, potential creditors DO.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would we get a score increase when a Tax Lein from the IRS is removed from the report?

Message 8 of 13
brother7
Established Contributor

I have a Federal Tax Lien on my CR. The lien is self-releasing, as explained in this portion of the original lien:

IMPORTANT RELEASE INFORMATION: For each assessment listed below, unless notice of the lien is refiled by the date given in column (a), this notice shall on the day following such date, operate as a certificate of release as defined in IRC 6325(a).

In my case, the self-release date was Apri, 2007.

Only recently have I started paying attention to my CR and found that the lien was still on all 3 CRs. Upon further research, I discovered that I have to file a release form with my local recording office. For instructions on how to request such document, see this PDF on IRS.gov

I followed those instructions, received the Certificate of Release of Federal Tax Lien from the IRS and recorded the document at my local recording office in early January, 2009. Then I submitted an online dispute with all 3 CRAs. Still waiting on the result.

Question:  How will the recordation of the release affect my credit score?  Intuitively, I would think that if a lien is a huge negative, then a release of lien would be a huge positive.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 9 of 13
brother7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
paid or unpaid makes no difference to fico scoring

You're saying that tax liens, no matter what their status, do NOT affect FICO scores?  Is this true?  If so, I find that very strange.  Can someone confirm this please, as I just got an IRS tax lien released and am looking forward to a nice spike upwards in my CR.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.