Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax liens?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax liens?

After a tax lien has been released from say a State, can it be disputed to remove it from my credit report? Or do I just have to let it go?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax liens?

Hopefully it's not California. It's impossible. Not sure on other states. What state? You can always ask to have it removed after payment.
Message 2 of 20
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Just depends on which credit bureau your dealing with. Equifax seems to be hardest of the bunch to remove public records. I have a state lien in MI and from what I can gather you must get your local courthouse to have the lien withdrawn from the file. What sucks is even if paid and verified as released it stays on the report for 7 more years after its paid really not fair IMHO.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 3 of 20
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@credit_endurance wrote:

Just depends on which credit bureau your dealing with. Equifax seems to be hardest of the bunch to remove public records. I have a state lien in MI and from what I can gather you must get your local courthouse to have the lien withdrawn from the file. What sucks is even if paid and verified as released it stays on the report for 7 more years after its paid really not fair IMHO.

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 4 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If the lien is valid then disputing it isnt the way to go. You would want to see about getting it withdrawn.

Message 5 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The stattuory exclusion date is 7 years from the date the lien is paid.

Paying only begns the running of the 7 year period.

Removal prior to the normal exclusion date is discretionary, not disputable as an inaccuracy.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My paid lien was removed via dispute earlier this month.
Message 7 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is good that it wss removed in your case RFH, but it may have been more outside of the norm for these situations.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(A)(3) sets the exclusion of tax liens based on date of payment:

:

"Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years."

There are no states which have statutes settng a shorter period.

Message 9 of 20
padme
Established Contributor

my state liens fall off in september, i had some kind of issue with my out of state credits, HRblock fixed it with my state, but never knew they were still on my reports, thru refinancing my house and credit cards apps, all these years wasted.. all they did was send this to collections, sucks

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.