Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax on interest refund?

tag
printosaur
New Contributor

Tax on interest refund?

Anyone getting tax notice/1099-C for refunded interest charges? That is, interest charges that were refunded by the credit card issuer?

I am trying to check this out and would appreciate any help. Thanks -

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax on interest refund?

@printosaur wrote:

Anyone getting tax notice/1099-C for refunded interest charges? That is, interest charges that were refunded by the credit card issuer?

I haven't gotten a tax notice, but I don't think it would qualify as a 1099-C as it isn't debt that was forgiven.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@printosaur wrote:

I haven't gotten a tax notice, but I don't think it would qualify as a 1099-C as it isn't debt that was forgiven.

Forgiven debt can be taxed (e.g. student loans), but I don't see the logic behind taxing a reversed interest charge. It is not new money you are getting or debt that is being forgiven. Rather, I would categorize it as something more akin to getting your money back when returning something to the store. With that said, I am no tax expert, and this  forum are probably not the best place to ask for tax advice. Hopefully someone can help you since there is some relationship with CCs here, but I doubt too many of us are tax experts.

Message 3 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I've moved your question to the Rebuilding forum, as we likely have a better knowledge base regarding 1099Cs in this section.

SunriseEarth,

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way it might be considered taxable would be if the refunded interest had been claimed as exempt interest (like mortgage interest) on an itemized return, but I don't think CC interest is claimable is it?

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The only way it might be considered taxable would be if the refunded interest had been claimed as exempt interest (like mortgage interest) on an itemized return, but I don't think CC interest is claimable is it?

CC interest is only deductible to the extent of the amount used for business expenses, no personal deduction is allowable.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CC interest is only deductible to the extent of the amount used for business expenses, no personal deduction is allowable.

Yeah, I didn't think it was. I've only ever filed an itemized return once and that was quite a few years ago.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is the issue that the creditor refunded the amount because they determined that it was in excess of what you actually owed?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.