Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell me if I screwed up - DV when I should have GW

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tell me if I screwed up - DV when I should have GW

I'm in the procress of DV & GW accounts on my CR in hopes that a reporting error will surface and that results in the TL being removed or the CA just not wanting to deal with it and removes the TL.  All of my baddies are either settled/CO, there for a few lates, paid, and 1 that states paid but I know I never paid nor received notices from the CA regarding the acct.

I sent a DV letter to Cap1 for an acct marked inactive, nothing due and set to be positive Aug. 2012.  I guess my thinking at the time of the letter was to be a PITA in hopes they'd just remove the TL.  Today I found out one of my GW TL removals (also set to fall off 8/12) was sucessful and I'm now starting to kick myself.  Should I have gone the GW route first? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Tell me if I screwed up - DV when I should have GW

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the procress of DV & GW accounts on my CR in hopes that a reporting error will surface and that results in the TL being removed or the CA just not wanting to deal with it and removes the TL.  All of my baddies are either settled/CO, there for a few lates, paid, and 1 that states paid but I know I never paid nor received notices from the CA regarding the acct.

I sent a DV letter to Cap1 for an acct marked inactive, nothing due and set to be positive Aug. 2012.  I guess my thinking at the time of the letter was to be a PITA in hopes they'd just remove the TL.  Today I found out one of my GW TL removals (also set to fall off 8/12) was sucessful and I'm now starting to kick myself.  Should I have gone the GW route first? 

Only time will tell. In all reality you shouldn't be disputing information on the report if it is accurate, but it is not illegal either.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DVs only apply to verification of a debt by a debt collector.  They dont apply to OCs.

If you have a reporting error by an OC, the remedy is to file a dispute over its accuracy, and not send them a DV request.

Unlike the DV process under the FDCPA, which does not have to allege and inaccuracy in credit reporting, a dispute under the FCRA requires the identification of some asserted inaccuracy.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

DVs only apply to verification of a debt by a debt collector.  They dont apply to OCs.

If you have a reporting error by an OC, the remedy is to file a dispute over its accuracy, and not send them a DV request.

I just rechecked my paperwork, I send them a 623 letter, not DV.

Still, I'm just wondering.....Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Resolution of a dispute does not necessarily require deletion of anything from your CR.  If the furnisher can simply update an inaccuracy in a manner that makes it accurate, that is all that is required under the dispute process.  I doubt that failure to update a status would result in any deletion.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.