Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrified to dispute - wwyd?

tag
Hevj1119
Regular Contributor

Terrified to dispute - wwyd?

Hello all!  I have come a long way in rebuilding my credit...  considering financing an auto loan this fall, so I checked CK to see the status of an old less-than-favorable auto loan.

My TU report looks great but EQ is showing a tax lien from 2007 as unpaid - though it does say released 12/2012 (which is when I paid the lien) so I guess that counts as paid ..    Anyway, it's not showing on the other reports.  I checked the last ones I pulled from annualreport in May -  I think TU removed it by mistake.  It says filed:  8/2007  satisfied 9/2007 (wrong) removed 8/2014  Not sure if it's still on EX or not.

It's really hurting my EQ score.  I feel like I should dispute it but I'm worried if I do, it'll trigger TU to double check their own reporting of it.   Can I dispute on EQ?  SHOULD I dispute?

Thoughts?  What would you recommend?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Hevj1119
Regular Contributor

Re: Terrified to dispute - wwyd?

So I did a buncha research.  90% of my findings say that liens are removed 7 years from date paid.  10% of my findings state it's 7 years from the date filed.  I think the majority wins in this case and any where that it says it's 7 years from filing is just plain wrong.  Smiley Sad  Looks like I get to enjoy 4 more years of a negative public record on my reports.   Yay!

Message 2 of 3
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Terrified to dispute - wwyd?

The law says that liens are removed 7 years from date of payment.  Since the courts don't record the payment date, the CRAs use the release date.

Was this a fed or state tax lien and if state, which state?  The Feds will remove a paid lien if you request it.  Same thing for some states.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.