Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas DV requirements???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Texas DV requirements???

Once you request a DV invoking Texas Finance Code, what exactly is required in the CA's response? The last CA to send me a response to my DV only sent me  a sheet with name and a few codes. No date of birth, ssn, no other identifying information. No surety bond info.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Texas DV requirements???

@Anonymous wrote:

Once you request a DV invoking Texas Finance Code, what exactly is required in the CA's response? The last CA to send me a response to my DV only sent me  a sheet with name and a few codes. No date of birth, ssn, no other identifying information. No surety bond info.

Nothing is specifically required in their response. They are simply "required to respond". The response can be a simple "we're working on it", but if they do NOT provide validation and proof of their licensing and such as required by the state of Texas, then they MUST remove their reporting of the collection until it is provided.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sec. 392.202.  CORRECTION OF THIRD-PARTY DEBT COLLECTOR'S OR CREDIT BUREAU'S FILES. 

(a)  An individual who disputes the accuracy of an item that is in a third-party debt collector's or credit bureau's file on the individual and that relates to a debt being collected by the third-party debt collector may notify in writing the third-party debt collector of the inaccuracy.  The third-party debt collector shall make a written record of the dispute.  If the third-party debt collector does not report information related to the dispute to a credit bureau, the third-party debt collector shall cease collection efforts until an investigation of the dispute described by Subsections (b)-(e) determines the accurate amount of the debt, if any.  If the third-party debt collector reports information related to the dispute to a credit bureau, the reporting third-party debt collector shall initiate an investigation of the dispute described by Subsections (b)-(e) and shall cease collection efforts until the investigation determines the accurate amount of the debt, if any.  This section does not affect the application of Chapter 20, Business & Commerce Code, to a third-party debt collector subject to that chapter.

(b)  Not later than the 30th day after the date a notice of inaccuracy is received, a third-party debt collector who initiates an investigation shall send a written statement to the individual:

(1)  denying the inaccuracy;

(2)  admitting the inaccuracy;  or

(3)  stating that the third-party debt collector has not had sufficient time to complete an investigation of the inaccuracy.

(c)  If the third-party debt collector admits that the item is inaccurate under Subsection (b), the third-party debt collector shall:

(1)  not later than the fifth business day after the date of the admission, correct the item in the relevant file;  and

(2)  immediately cease collection efforts related to the portion of the debt that was found to be inaccurate and on correction of the item send, to each person who has previously received a report from the third-party debt collector containing the inaccurate information, notice of the inaccuracy and a copy of an accurate report.

(d)  If the third-party debt collector states that there has not been sufficient time to complete an investigation, the third-party debt collector shall immediately:

(1)  change the item in the relevant file as requested by the individual;

(2)  send to each person who previously received the report containing the information a notice that is equivalent to a notice under Subsection (c) and a copy of the changed report;  and

(3)  cease collection efforts.

(e)  On completion by the third-party debt collector of the investigation, the third-party debt collector shall inform the individual of the determination of whether the item is accurate or inaccurate.  If the third-party debt collector determines that the information was accurate, the third-party debt collector may again report that information and resume collection efforts.

Message 3 of 4
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Question. So if they provide a photocopy of a credit card statement, is that considered complete validation? They did not include Texas surety info, if that makes a difference. I'd like to know if, in this scenario, it would be appropriate to contact the BBB stating that they did not sufficiently validate that the debt belonged to me... but to be honest, I'm not sure what sufficient validation consists of.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.