Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Resident Debt Validation Letter

tag
BGMWPD320
Regular Contributor

Re: Texas Resident Debt Validation Letter

It's Midland Credit Management and they are reporting to the CRAs. They do have a current surety bond in Texas. I requested validation on those exact things you listed and specified it was a request under the Texas Finance Code.
Message 101 of 112
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@BGMWPD320 wrote:
It's Midland Credit Management and they are reporting to the CRAs. They do have a current surety bond in Texas. I requested validation on those exact things you listed and specified it was a request under the Texas Finance Code.

If it were me, I would write them a simple ITS letter pointing out how you exercised your rights for validation of those things under the Texas finance code, and that a letter stating they feel it is accurate is not an acceptable validation, and by continuing to report this to the CRAs is continuing to actively attempt to collect on the debt, which is a violation under the TFC and that they have x amount of days to either provide you with acceptable validation, or remove from the CRAs and cease collection activity or you will sue.  I would also cc the insurance company on record as holding their surety bond.

It sounds to me as though they can't validate this or they would have.  If they are playing bluff with you and continuing to actively attempt to collect on this debt and report it to the CRAs, they're in violation of TFC and you can sue.  If you win, that insurance company holding their bond isn't going to be happy.  

that's just me though.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 102 of 112
BGMWPD320
Regular Contributor

Ok, thank you. I'll type a letter later today and post it here for you guys to look over.
Message 103 of 112
BGMWPD320
Regular Contributor

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

If it were me, I would write them a simple ITS letter pointing out how you exercised your rights for validation of those things under the Texas finance code, and that a letter stating they feel it is accurate is not an acceptable validation, and by continuing to report this to the CRAs is continuing to actively attempt to collect on the debt, which is a violation under the TFC and that they have x amount of days to either provide you with acceptable validation, or remove from the CRAs and cease collection activity or you will sue.  I would also cc the insurance company on record as holding their surety bond.

It sounds to me as though they can't validate this or they would have.  If they are playing bluff with you and continuing to actively attempt to collect on this debt and report it to the CRAs, they're in violation of TFC and you can sue.  If you win, that insurance company holding their bond isn't going to be happy.  

that's just me though.

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

that's just me though.

How does this response to their lack of validation look?

Midland Funding

P.O. Box 939069

San Diego, CA 92193

Account Reference: ***********

To whom it may concern,

On August 1st, 2015, I mailed Midland Funding a letter requesting debt validation per the Texas Finance Code. My records show that Midland Funding received the DEBT VALIDATION letter on Tuesday, August 4th, 2015. On August 18th, 2015, I received a letter from Midland Funding stating that the status of the account would be changed to “disputed” with the three major credit bureaus but further stated that “After reviewing he information you provided, as well as our account notes, and information provided by the previous creditor, we are unable to determine the nature of your dispute, and consequently deny that our records are inaccurate. We will be closing our investigation of your dispute and resuming regular collection activities as allowed by the Texas Finance Code and/or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.” The original correspondence was not a dispute but rather a debt validation letter pursuant to the Texas Finance Code.

My original correspondence requested specific information be validated per the Texas Finance Code. If Midland Funding does not validate the specific information and continues to to actively attempt to collect on the alleged debt, which includes reporting the debt to the three major credit bureaus, it is a violation of the Texas Finance Code. If Midland Funding does not cease actively attempting to collect the alleged debt on/before September 3rd, 2015, which is 30 (thirty) days from Midland Funding's receipt of the original correspondence, I will file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the Better Business Bureau. I will also contact legal counsel for possible civil remedies.

I have provided a copy of my original correspondence and a copy of Midland Funding's response with this letter.

Regards,

Message 104 of 112
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Just to be sure, would you mind posting in here your original letter of validation that you sent to them? Just to be sure that all of the Ts are crossed and i are dotted where they haven't got a loop hole to stand in.

I feel sure you have done this well, but I don't want to be giving sound advice on something I haven't read Smiley Happy

If there is any way that they can claim it was a dispute instead of validation, you will need to make that (more) clear in this letter.  CAs can be like kindegarteners with their excuses "you didn't say it THAT way".  

Just trying to save you time so that you don't have to play the snail mail game.

(btw,, has this changed on all of your reports to DISPUTED?

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 105 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

that's just me though.

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

that's just me though.

Midland Funding

P.O. Box 939069

San Diego, CA 92193

To whom it may concern,

On August 1st, 2015, I mailed Midland Funding a letter requesting debt validation per the Texas Finance Code. My records show that Midland Funding received the DEBT VALIDATION letter on Tuesday, August 4th, 2015. On August 18th, 2015, I received a letter from Midland Funding stating that the status of the account would be changed to “disputed” with the three major credit bureaus but further stated that “After reviewing he information you provided, as well as our account notes, and information provided by the previous creditor, we are unable to determine the nature of your dispute, and consequently deny that our records are inaccurate. We will be closing our investigation of your dispute and resuming regular collection activities as allowed by the Texas Finance Code and/or the Fair Credit Reporting Act.” The original correspondence was not a dispute but rather a debt validation letter pursuant to the Texas Finance Code.

My original correspondence requested specific information be validated per the Texas Finance Code. If Midland Funding does not validate the specific information and continues to to actively attempt to collect on the alleged debt, which includes reporting the debt to the three major credit bureaus, it is a violation of the Texas Finance Code. If Midland Funding does not cease actively attempting to collect the alleged debt on/before September 3rd, 2015, which is 30 (thirty) days from Midland Funding's receipt of the original correspondence, I will file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the Better Business Bureau. I will also contact legal counsel for possible civil remedies.

I have provided a copy of my original correspondence and a copy of Midland Funding's response with this letter.

Regards,

You also need to file a complaint with the Texas SOS office, there are exact instructions on their website. That is your best bet. Good luck.

Message 106 of 112
BGMWPD320
Regular Contributor

This is the template I used for my original correspondence:

Account Reference #:

To whom It may concern,

I request validation of this debt per Texas Finance Code Section 392.202 which requires a debt collection agency or credit bureau to provide the alleged debtor with specific information concerning their debt including but not limited to:

For the purpose of validation provide me with:
·The name and address of the original creditor
·The original date of default or non-payment of the debt with original creditor
·The date the debt was transferred from the original creditor to the third party debt collector
·The original balance
·The current balance
·Any fees added by your agency. Sec. 392.303 (a)(2)
·Texas Surety bond information as required by Sec. 392.101

Please note Transunion, Experian, and Equifax are bonded in the state of Texas and are required to comply with Texas Finance Code. If a debt collector has failed to respond to your debt validation request, then they have essentially admitted, per Texas Finance Code 392.202(b)(2), that the debt in question is inaccurate.
Per this requirement you must delete this trade line if you do not have sufficient time to complete an investigation to validate this debt in 30 days according to Sec. 392.202 (d)(1)

Also per Texas Finance Code 392.202 Correction of third -party debt collector’s or credit bureau’s files.
I request immediate notification by mail if this alleged debt is sold or transferred per Sec. 392.301 (a)(4).

Please reply with your response via US MAIL.
Please note I am fully prepared to pursue my rights for the harm this inaccuracy has done to me. Sec. 392.403. CIVIL REMEDIES. (a)
A person may sue for:
(1) injunctive relief to prevent or restrain a violation of this chapter; and
(2) actual damages sustained as a result of a violation of this chapter.

Regards,
Me
Message 107 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

that's just me though.

@2b2rich wrote:

@BGMWPD320 wrote:

that's just me though.

Midland Funding

P.O. Box 939069

San Diego, CA 92193

To whom it may concern,

Regards,

Actually, they are not in violation of the law until Sept 4, 30 days after receiving your notice. Do nothing until that time. Then jump on them with both feet if they have not deleted.

Message 108 of 112
Tot_T

Just curious about any further action taken with Midland Funding...

Message 109 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, this is my first post here as I have a question regarding the DV letter and the response I have received. I have read as much as I could regarding the rebuilding your credit FAQ's as well as trying to understand them. I have decided to start with this option (DV) and have sent out my first two to 2 different CA. I have received only one response from Phoenix Recovery Group based here in Texas. They sent back a letter validating the debt however I did not see anything in regards to their bond. My main question however is, this debt was from 2010, would'nt this be over the statute of limitations and if so, does that mean they can no longer report it to the CRA's? I have posted a link to a screenshot of the reported debt, if this is not allowed please let me know.

https://imgur.com/jJARW7A

I would also like to thank all of you for posting such important information for us who are new to this. I really appreciate it.

Message 110 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.