cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank Y'all! and Advice Needed on Toy Cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank Y'all! and Advice Needed on Toy Cards!

Hey Y'all! First time poster here! Long time lurker. Smiley Wink

I just wanted to thank the community for the valuable advice! I learned the ropes about NFCU. I wasn't able to get a loan or refi (in due time with better scores, I hope), but I was able to get cashrewards; my husband did, too. Being part of NFCU is awesome, and we're looking forward to a lifetime of doing business and being responsible with them!

My concern is about the store cards. I know they can establish credit and be a gateway for primetime; I avoided HPs, using the SCT. But after researching, I don't want to be stuck in toy card hell. However, I would like to keep some for rewards and also avoid having my score take a major hit by closing them all.

Details: FICO is 599 (EXP), 601 (EQ), and 610 (TU). I have 3 collections, and one 60 day late w/ repossession redeemed on a car loan. I have tons of student loans, all current and in great standing (Thank God!). Also have heavy UTIL on three cards, but every CC is current, and all were opened in late 2016.

Toy Cards: Target (300) Macy's (600) Ulta (300) Venus (250) Loft (250) In addition, I have Quicksilver One, Merrick Bank, and Discover It Secured.

My primetime goals are: 1) SPG AMEX; 2) Chase Slate, 3) Citi Double Cash; and 4) 800 +/- score.

With all of this said (sorry to be long-winded, but I have read details help), I have three questions:

1) I want to keep my Ultamate Credit Card (nice rewards for makeup when I do wear it LOL). Which other ones should I keep, or should I close them all?;

2) If I do keep some of the toy cards, all (except for Venus) can be co-branded. What score do I need to co-brand and how long does it take?; and

3) Other than paying or deleting my collections (some are fraud), and working on my UTIL, what else can I do to improve my credit score to be ready for NFCU CLI/LOC and primetime (Chase, AMEX, etc.)?

Thank y'all in advance.

CAP

p.s. - Bonus Question: I need help with posting my cards/limits in my signature; where can I find that help? LOL! Thank you!^__^

p.p.s.- I decided to Opt-Out for 5 yrs. to prevent me from getting anymore offers and being tempted by pop-ups; I hate HPs, so I'll be fine gardening. I will Opt-In in 2019, and keep y'all posted on how my score changes...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thank Y'all! and Advice Needed on Toy Cards!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Y'all! First time posted here! Long time lurker. Smiley Wink

I just wanted to thank the community for the valuable advice! I learned the ropes about NFCU. I wasn't able to get a loan or refi (in due time with better scores, I hope), but I was able to get ncashrewards; my husband did, too. Being part of NFCU is awesome, and we're looking forward to a lifetime of doing business and being responsible with them!

My concern is about the store cards. I know they can establish credit and be a gateway for primetime; I avoided HPs, using the SCT. But after researching, I don't want to be stuck in toy card hell. However, I would like to keep some for rewards and also avoid having my score take a major hit by closing them all.

Details: FICO is 599 (EXP), 601 (EQ), and 610 (TU). I have 3 collections, and one 60 day late w/ repossession redeemed on a car loan. I have tons of student loans, all current and in great standing (Thank God!). Also have heavy UTIL on three cards, but every CC is current, and all were opened in late 2016.

Toy Cards: Target (300) Macy's (600) Ulta (300) Venus (250) Loft (250) In addition, I have Quicksilver One, Merrick Bank, and Discover It Secured.

My primetime goals are: 1) SPG AMEX; 2) Chase Slate, 3) Citi Double Cash; and 4) 800 +/- score.

With all of this said (sorry to be long-winded, but I have read details help), I have three questions:

1) I want to keep my Ultamate Credit Card (nice rewards for makeup when I do wear it LOL). Which other ones should I keep, or should I close them all?;

2) If I do keep some of the toy cards, all (except for Venus) can be co-branded. What score do I need to co-brand and how long does it take?; and

3) Other than paying or deleting my collections (some are fraud), and working on my UTIL, what else can I do to improve my credit score to be ready for NFCU CLI/LOC and primetime (Chase, AMEX, etc.)?

Sorry to be long-winded; thank y'all in advance.

CAP

p.s. - Bonus Question: I need help with posting my cards/limits in my signature; where can I find that help? LOL! Thank you!^__^

Welcome to the forums.

1) I have a Macy's card.  It started off at $300 and at activation it was increased to $600.  It is now at $8900.  I had a Target card back in the day, but it got CO'd and when I reapplied 2 years ago, I was turned down because of derogs, so I can't attest to its growth potential.  I have never dealt with Ulta, Venus, or Loft.  Some Comenity cards have good growth potential (i.e. JCrew, Pottery Barn, etc...) while some seem to have limited growth potential.  The only store card that I have that hasn't grown as much is Overstock ($4700) and it is on the chopping block this summer.  If the card is of benefit to you, then keep it open. 

2)  A lot of the co-branded cards generally switch over at a 700+ score, so by that time you will have scores that will get you more competitive bank cards so you may decide that you don't want to keep a card with a 27% interest rate when you can get cards in the mid-teens or less.

3)  I got my first Amex card with a 660 EX score, but ended up with a toy limit; 685 enabled me to get my BCP with an SL of $5k, so the higher the score the better.  Chase has their 5/24 rule, so it will be 24 months before you will qualify for the Slate.  I'm currently blacklisted with Citi, so others will have to chime in on them ( I can qualify for store cards i.e. Macy's, Home Depot, but not the real deal.  One way to possible get in with Citi is through their secured card.  I have not tried that option yet, but after next year, that might become a consideration.

Removing derogs will go a long way toward improving your score and profile as will UTI.  Some CC companies are INQ sensitive, so continue to work with what you have and when you profile is ideal and has less INQs, then consider making your move.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

in order to post pics you need to rank up for the system to grant you HTML privileges and when you are able to you can get the basic info here... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/td...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, kaykay65!

1) Wow, that's awesome for Macy's, but I don't think I have the patience to wait and see the growth... I'm canceling that one, Venus, Loft, and Target; Ulta, too: that 26% rate is a bit much. Love that store, but if I'm so reward conscious, I can use my cashrewards or Discover. (Besides, I forgot I have Nordstrom's and Neiman Marcus; two is enough.)

2) Thank you for the advice. To be honest, the only co-branded I really want is the Nordstrom Visa; I'll be patient with this one.

3) Good to know regarding AMEX. And I just found out the hard way about the Chase 5/24 rule; that's why they denied me for the Slate: too many store cards opened... I'll apply for Chase and AMEX (if my score is 700+) in 2019. The last INQ I will have before I go to the garden for two years is Citi: I want a secured, too, but will make sure that I have a high deposit ($1000 or higher); you're only allowed a one-time deposit.

Lastly, I am working hard on derogs. PRA has incorrect info, and I disputed. They have not responded yet; once the 30 day marks hit, I'm going to ask for removal and have my facts straight in a certified-mail letter. Again, thank you for your advice; so appreciated!

CAP

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, gdale6!

I will wait my turn to edit properly! Smiley Wink  

CAP

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a f/u on this (my) thread w/ another issue:

Regarding my Loft Card, hours after I apped, I was feeling guilty and did research on it. The card's bad reviews are enough, but what really concerned me was getting stuck in toy card hell and the number of store cards I have (hence, this post). However, although I have received the card, I have not used the card.

I have not activated it, either.

Should I activate the card and cancel it, or just let the company cancel the card?

Thank you again,

CAP

p.s.- So appreciate y'all for not judging me in advance. Smiley Wink I have made mistakes and am desperately trying to undo them, making the best financial decisions from here on out...

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a f/u on this (my) thread w/ another issue:

Regarding my Loft Card, hours after I apped, I was feeling guilty and did research on it. The card's bad reviews are enough, but what really concerned me was getting stuck in toy card hell and the number of store cards I have (hence, this post). However, although I have received the card, I have not used the card.

I have not activated it, either.

Should I activate the card and cancel it, or just let the company cancel the card?

Thank you again,

CAP

p.s.- So appreciate y'all for not judging me in advance. Smiley Wink I have made mistakes and am desperately trying to undo them, making the best financial decisions from here on out...

You've taken the HP, so you might as well activate it.  YMMV on this kind of thing.  Some people have great experiences with some cards, others don't.  It is on your reports regardless.  I've been through this myself where I've regretted applying for a certain card and it has taught me not to apply just for the sake of applying.  My last application was July of last year and that was for the BoA Cash Rewards card.  If you don't feel the card will be beneficial, then don't use it; Comenity bank will eventually close it. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello kaykay65,

I just canceled my Loft card. I never shop there, and it's pointless for me to have the card. Stupid, impulsive decision on my part for apping, and I think it was a HP, but I'm happy now just to have one less card. Also, I saw on my EXP that it was already listed; oh well, I won't be using it...

Gonna cancel the rest of the store cards as I planned (after they're paid off), garden, and just build with the six I have to ready for primetime: I love Starwood hotels, and it's a shame that SPG Amex isn't in my portfolio.

Yet... Smiley Happy

Thank you again,

CAP

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.