Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you...A Year Later!

tag
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

Thank you...A Year Later!

I wanted to take a couple of minutes to devout my heartfelt thanks to these boards.  

I joined My FICO after a rude wake up call.  I needed to buy a new car once mine became unreliable.  Paying in cash wasn't an option.  My boyfriend at the time kept saying, "Oh there are some great 0% financing options out there!"  As I'm sure many of you rebuilders know the feeling, my gut was in knots...I knew I wouldn't get approved for 0% financing...if ANY financing at all!!  It was that moment that I realized I'd been hiding from the credit issues I'd allowed myself to create...and hiding not only from my boyfriend, but especially from myself.  I was ashamed, helpless and I didn't want to deal with that.  But I was tired of being a prisioner to my credit.  It stopped there.  

I came to Myfico.com to learn that my credit had sank to 524.  I had a handful of unpaid collections, credit cards to their max with multiple late payments, and student loans that I'd nearly defaulted on (thus creating multiple 90/120 lates).  I had every reason to be ashamed!  How could I let it get so out of control?

By a stroke of chance...I was approved (without a cosigner) for an auto-loan through FMC at 3.9% with $1500 down.  This victory was the jumping off point for me to take care of business.  I paid off all of my collections and was able to get all but one removed from my CR.  I've had some success getting some of the late payments removed as well.  I haven't missed a single payment in over a year and I continue to keep my credit card utilization in check.  

I came clean to my boyfriend about my credit issues...knowing that I didn't want to keep anything from him and I didn't want my finances to be the reason he couldn't move forward with the things that he wanted in life.  It was a very difficult conversation, but being honest and forth-coming about my past has paved the way to a very strong future for us.  He proposed to me over the holidays and I couldn't be happier to report that we are closing on our first house next Friday!  

Today my FICO is 671.  One year later.

I am just another success story that proves hard work, dedication and the will to improve your life really does pay off!  I couldn't have been this successful without the guidance, support and knowledge that I learned here.  To those of you that still feel like you've let it get too bad and that there is no way to recover from this...remember the family of support that you have here and keep at it...one day at a time.  MyFICO has been an invaluable resource for me.

Thank you all for all that you do!! 

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Thank you...A Year Later!

This is a great story.  I'm sure it was a pretty tough conversation w/ your bf, but your honesty & hard work paid off very nicely!  Congrats on your engagement? and the new house, WTG on your credit journey!  It only gets better now, so continue doing what you're doing and best wishes to you. 

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 7
Trying2changeit
Established Member

That is amazing! Congrats!!

Message 3 of 7
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congratulations to you and your fiancee!  Glad you have been able to stay the course and put yourself in great position for the rest of your life.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 7
cgussio
New Contributor

There are so many things to congratulate you for Smiley Happy You have had a really good year and it's great to see the hard work has really provided some positive results. Now you and your fiancee will be starting your married life with a good credit foundation and, even better, it sounds like a loving relationship based on honesty. You should be proud of yourself.

Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats to your continued success Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
778gk

Congrats

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.