Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you myfico and question about paid judgement

tag
sudofdisk
Valued Member

Thank you myfico and question about paid judgement

When registered on this forum my scores were 415 and 2 in the 430s. Today, thanks to the advice and encoragement I found here, I am sitting with a 629/661/678. Thank you all so much and to those just begining, there is hope!

It looks like I will be buying my first home this summer and the mortgage brooker says that everything look good with the exception of a judgement that isn't showing paid. I was garnished over this two years ago and it is satisfied but the credit report does not reflect this. Anyone have any advice as to what I should (or shouldn't) say in the letter I am about to send them?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Thank you myfico and question about paid judgement

Deletion from your CR is not dependent upon payment of the judgement.  Paid or unpaid, it remains for 7 years from the date of entry of the judgment. FCRA 605(a)(2).   So you wont get CR deletion by paying it.  But your credit score does not control mortgage lending decisions.

What your mortgage broker is probably concerned about, above all else, is that upon extending you a loan, that you dont have other unpaid debt that might affect any future claims they might have to make, in contention with claims of other credtiors,  should you default on the loan they are offering.  They dont want to be at back of the bus.

I would think that providing the mortgage broker with proof of full discharge of the debt would remove this as a serious concern on their part. Do you have a letter from the creditor who obtained the judgment, confirming its payment? If not, get that. and send it to your loan officer.

Message 2 of 7
sudofdisk
Valued Member

It is the letter that I am missing. Should I write or call to request one?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A call is qicker, but you may want your request in writing. 

Regardless, simply get the creditor who secured  the judgment to send you a letter stating that the debt has been paid in full, and that the terms of the judgment have been satisfied.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sudofdisk wrote:

When registered on this forum my scores were 415 and 2 in the 430s. Today, thanks to the advice and encoragement I found here, I am sitting with a 629/661/678. Thank you all so much and to those just begining, there is hope!

It looks like I will be buying my first home this summer and the mortgage brooker says that everything look good with the exception of a judgement that isn't showing paid. I was garnished over this two years ago and it is satisfied but the credit report does not reflect this. Anyone have any advice as to what I should (or shouldn't) say in the letter I am about to send them?

Thanks!

It virtually every jurisdiction a judgment creditor is obligated by law to file a satisfaction of judgment with the court clerk.  Generally they have two weeks to do so and the two-week period is triggered by a written demand (by you).  Failure to properly satisfy a judgment can be actionable. 

Send the judgment creditor a letter and demand they file a satisfaction of judgment with the court clerk's office within 10 business days.  Also demand they send you a notarized copy.  CMRRR, of course.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

BINGO!

Message 6 of 7
sudofdisk
Valued Member

Thank you! Sending it CMRRR tomorrow Smiley Happy

Wish me luck, home ownership just might be a reality this summer!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.