Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks to myFICO, I'm where I wanted to be

tag
lahtiji
Valued Member

Thanks to myFICO, I'm where I wanted to be

Four years ago, I started to get serious about my credit scores and reports. I was about to turn 40 and had very little concept of how credit worked (apart from the obvious - you have to pay it back), or what those 3-digit scores were or what they represented. As you can see from my signature, my scores were terrible.

I made some effort to address baddies, with limited success. A couple collection agency accounts went away after a few DV letters, but for the most part I came to accept that time and a resolve to make better decisions were the only things that were going to make any real difference. I marked the date(s) on my calendar that items would drop off and looked forward to them.

I started slowly with a secured card with a $750 limit from my credit union, which I used to build a positive payment history while waiting for negative accounts to age off. Some more gardening and a few sprees, and scheduled use of the luv button, and now I have over $50,000.00 in available revolving credit (with 12% utilization) and closed on my first house on December 12. Another spree this month led to approvals for a $4,000.00 Citi Simplicity card and an $11,500 Discover it card, for the long 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers. I'm going to be in the garden for a nice long while now.

The information, advice, and support I found here were the keys. In looking back, I can't believe how far I've come.

Thank you all. We don't pay you enough. Cat Tongue

Starting Scores: EQ 624 2/4/13 TU 548 *ouch* 2/1/13 EX 566
Current Scores: 3/22/16 EQ 744 FICO TU 754 FICO EX 740 FICO

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Capital QS One $11,500 | SkyMiles Platinum AmEx $11,500 | Discover it $11,500 | Amazon SC $5,000 | Citi Simplicity $4,000 | Walmart SC $3,500 | Chevron/Texaco SC $2,500 | BrightStar CU Platinum Visa $2,500

Gardening for the forseeable future.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thanks to myFICO, I'm where I wanted to be

Congratulations on your successes! Hoping to do the same thing myself.

Message 2 of 6
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

You are really rocking and rolling!!! 

Your scores are looking great and congrats on the home purchase.

@lahtiji wrote:

... had very little concept of ... what those 3-digit scores were or what they represented.

It is amazing how clueless many of us can be about the importance of good credit! 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lahtiji Congratulations! I'm behind you in my journey but am doing what I can to follow your path. One of my favorite things here are people's success stories. Thank you for sharing yours!
Message 4 of 6
nomadicpixie
Valued Member

Congrats! It has to feel good to get to you goal levels. These forums are an amazing source of info. I love reading the success stories of everyone!

Rebuilding from BK 7
EQ-554 TU-567 EX-542 ~ Day of Filing (2/2017)
EQ-559 TU-496 EX-510 ~ Day of Discharge (6/2017)
EQ-696 TU-677 EX-679 ~ Current (4/18)
Credit One, Merrick, Paypal, Overstock, Pottery Barn, NFCU Secured & CapOne
Live, learn, and overcome
Message 5 of 6
lahtiji
Valued Member

Good luck in your journey!

Starting Scores: EQ 624 2/4/13 TU 548 *ouch* 2/1/13 EX 566
Current Scores: 3/22/16 EQ 744 FICO TU 754 FICO EX 740 FICO

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Capital QS One $11,500 | SkyMiles Platinum AmEx $11,500 | Discover it $11,500 | Amazon SC $5,000 | Citi Simplicity $4,000 | Walmart SC $3,500 | Chevron/Texaco SC $2,500 | BrightStar CU Platinum Visa $2,500

Gardening for the forseeable future.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.