Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That pesky old medical collection from 2 years ago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

That pesky old medical collection from 2 years ago

Okay, so, I have been trying to get this thing off my reports since I joined last year. Here's the gist:

It is from a hospital visit at a Prime Network hospital in March of 2015. I had insurance at the time, and it was my first time visiting a doctor for an illness of any sort while I had that insurance. I was checked for pneumonia and treated for bronchitis in the ER. The sign outside of the hospital from the street was labeled Urgent Care, so to this day I'm not entirely sure how I ended up in the ER instead of UC.

I never received a bill for this visit. I moved in July of 2015. In November of 2015, I started my rebuild and getting fraud and items that weren't mine from a credit report merged file situation removed. I discovered an account for a CA that was recent, but using my address from prior to moving. Turned out to be from this hospital visit... but it was almost $1000. I offered to PFD, because I was so upset about it, and they wanted $1800 to do it. I got the agreement in writing, but decided to talk to a lawyer because I didn't understand what this bill was from or my rights under the ACA. He sent me to work to try to get the charges explained and the debt validated. To this day, I have received nothing in writing other than a notice from the CA proving they had a relationship to the Hospital. The hospital has given me nothing, despite visiting in person requesting an itemized bill of services. I filed complaints against both the CA and the hospital with the CFPB. The CA documented that they did the DV once I requested it in a timely manner, and that they were within their rights. The hospital never responded and the complaint still just shows it was filed, but unresolved with no response.

I called my insurance company to inquire why they didn't pay the bill and they informed me it would have been applied to my deductible. It didn't occur to me that the agent I spoke with didn't even look at the claim. 

I wrote a letter last week to the hospital again demanding a statement of charges, as they are currently under investigation by the FBI for medicare and billing fraud. They received the letter last week and I am waiting for a response. It also includes a notice of intent to sue. 

However... my lawyer yesterday and I were discussing it and he said I should get docs from the insurance company as well, just for my files. I never received an EOB on this visit, so I didn't have it. I gave them a call and the agent I spoke to told me the claim was paid. They are mailing me the EOB (they said it takes 15 days) and I'm really excited to get it and see if this is true. It is the only collection account I have (lots of old lates on student loans, though) and I'm anxious to finally be getting justice.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.