The Annual Disappointment

tag
JoshInReno

Re: The Annual Disappointment

Sadly, I don't think so.

Combined credit card limits: $1600

Combined credit card balances: $1465

Utilization:                                    91.56%

92% is what is shown on my profile - so I don't think the consumer loan is/was factored in.

01/14/08 TU:620 EQ:573 EX:622
11/29/12 TU:636 EQ:633 EX:???
Message 11 of 24
JoshInReno

Interesting.

I have never paid on that judgement. How would a person go about checking the courthouse docket?

Message 12 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@JoshInReno wrote:

Interesting.

I have never paid on that judgment. How would a person go about checking the courthouse docket?

Most jurisdictions are online now. Try the Clerk of Courts section of your county to see your judgment.

The judgment is really holding you back as well as utility. That is a public record that will last for much longer than 7.5 years. Check the Nevada state statutes to see how long a judgment lasts in your area (if that is where you are). Typical is ten to twenty years and many jurisdictions have a renewal process. Also, the judgment has been accruing interest the entire time since it was issued. The interest is limited by statute, usually a prime plus type of thing, so check the statute for the permitted amount too. The judgment will prevent a purchase of a home with a mortgage. So you want to take care of it ASAP.  Consider getting in touch with the judgment lienholder to see if you can get it vacated in exchange for payment.  If they won't do that, then make sure you get a recorded Satisfaction for payment.

Message 13 of 24
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@JoshInReno wrote:

Interesting.

I have never paid on that judgement. How would a person go about checking the courthouse docket?

going from 90+ util to 9 percent util caused my scores to raise almost 100 points. and I have 5 negative accounts still showing, my high is 722 for TU

knock down that util and see your scores cruise up.. there isn't even a doubt about it... score simulator be damned.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 14 of 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree totally, IME the score simulators are practically worthless.  Smiley Happy  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 24
JoshInReno

Another year down, no real progress. Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 24
Scupra
Super Contributor

What cards do you have and what are the limits/utilization?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 24
JoshInReno

Utilization on cards is 63%.

It's dropping, but very slowly.

I think it's just time to accept the possibility that home ownership just isn't in the cards. A down payment and cash reserves are likely a pipe dream.

Message 18 of 24
Taylor4236
Valued Member

Hi Josh,

I think what Scupra was saying is: if you can tell us what the limits on your cards are vs. the current balance, some suggestions could be made on which cards to pay down first in order to boost your score more quickly.  It looks like the balances are coming down slowly so I'm assuming you're only paying the minimum balance.  Do you have any extra $$ you can apply to a certain card?

When paying down CC's, there's sort of 2 options...pay down the highest interest rate first, or pay off the lowest balance first.  The former will save you money in the long run while the latter will boost your score more quickly.  Sort of up to you on how to handle.

In general, there are situtations where the biggest hurdle is time.  It takes time to get past the errors you've made in the past and rebuild your score.  In my case, I had a foreclosure and while my score is *ever so slowly* rebounding, it simply takes time for the past to age off your report.  After 6.11 years of waiting, my FC is set to fall off in February.  I can't tell you how liberating it makes me feel to know that I've put in my time and will soon be rewarded for hard work, dedication, and perserverance.  My message to you is DON'T DESPAIR!!  It will get better!!  Your job is to do everything you can to correct the things that are wrong on your report and GW the heck out of any baddies.    Also - be creative in your approach and think outside the box!  Maybe you belong to a CU that would give you a loan with low interest rate, pay off the multiple TL's (keep them open!).  Or BT to a new credit card?  Just keep at it my friend.

I know this was long, so sorry about that, but wanted to encourage you to keep on keepin' on.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 592
Current Score: TU680/EQ695/EX647 (10-1-14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 24
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Taylor4236 wrote:

Hi Josh,

I think what Scupra was saying is: if you can tell us what the limits on your cards are vs. the current balance, some suggestions could be made on which cards to pay down first in order to boost your score more quickly.  It looks like the balances are coming down slowly so I'm assuming you're only paying the minimum balance.  Do you have any extra $$ you can apply to a certain card?

When paying down CC's, there's sort of 2 options...pay down the highest interest rate first, or pay off the lowest balance first.  The former will save you money in the long run while the latter will boost your score more quickly.  Sort of up to you on how to handle.

In general, there are situtations where the biggest hurdle is time.  It takes time to get past the errors you've made in the past and rebuild your score.  In my case, I had a foreclosure and while my score is *ever so slowly* rebounding, it simply takes time for the past to age off your report.  After 6.11 years of waiting, my FC is set to fall off in February.  I can't tell you how liberating it makes me feel to know that I've put in my time and will soon be rewarded for hard work, dedication, and perserverance.  My message to you is DON'T DESPAIR!!  It will get better!!  Your job is to do everything you can to correct the things that are wrong on your report and GW the heck out of any baddies.    Also - be creative in your approach and think outside the box!  Maybe you belong to a CU that would give you a loan with low interest rate, pay off the multiple TL's (keep them open!).  Or BT to a new credit card?  Just keep at it my friend.

I know this was long, so sorry about that, but wanted to encourage you to keep on keepin' on.  Smiley Happy

Exactly! If we can see your util % per card it would help us give you better advice on how to raise your score the quickest. Hang in there, the high util is most likely what's your scores down. It's probably not what you want to hear BUT, you probably don't want a new shiny mortgage payment while your util is that high anyway. Get the cards paid down and you will be in a much better spot financially which should relieve some of the stress!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.