Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Black Hole of a Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Black Hole of a Credit Score

It seems no matter what I do, my credit score goes in one direction - DOWN.

I admit that I deserve it, I had a slew of debts in 2010 that I just could not pay any more. Why is irrelevant. So I sat it out. During taht time I paid what I could religiously. My mortgage was never late. In April I finally paid it off, and my score dropped 25 points.

The more experienced members of this board suggested I get a secured card. I did, and I lost 2 more points with the inquiry.

The new card started reporting on my credit file. It had a balance of $17 and a credit limit of $250. I lost two more points.

Yesterday one of the old baddies dropped off, leaving 3 others. I got ONE point back. The others are scheduled to age off by May 2017.

My score is now at 623. Can I ever excpect it to get to, say.... 700? I am 65 years old and don't think I will live long enough to see that at the 1 or 2 points a year I am getting now.

5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: The Black Hole of a Credit Score

It is common that when steps are taken for long term improvement, they can result in short term score decrease.

It is often necessary to take a short term hit in order to build.

For example, paying a delinquent debt results in a required updated reporting of the new, $0 balance.

That also informs the scoring algorithm that the debt remained delinquent up to that date, which can cause a ding.

However, it thereafter prevents future updates that might extend notice of continued delinquency even further.

Appling for new credit, which will ultimately lead to score increase due to mix of credit, can cause a short-term ding due to the effect of an inherent reduction in AAoA due to addition of an account with zero age, and can also add a hard-pull.

Message 2 of 6
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

I can relate, my scores dropped 37 points after I paid off a car loan to get out from its absurdly high interest rates... which were the result of my already crappy scores. Double whammy. I think it was 623 at the time, actually. That was my only installment credit, so you get dinged if you don't have what they consider a proper mix of credit cards and loans.It does seem like you get penalized for everything, doesn't it? That was four (?) years ago, and while my scores have risen, two of them have been sitting at 666 and 675 for over a year regardless of what I do. Seriously, they haven't budged a single point. No late payments, low utilizations, increased credit limits, but bupkes on the score front. The third's at 712, so at least there's that tiny glimmer of hope. I have a charge off due to disappear in Janauary of 2017, but it's supposedly elegible for deletion next month, so here's hoping that's what was causing my glass ceiling. My "FAKO" scores are all around 760, with my auto loan and mortgage scores about as high, so at least they've risen elsewhere. I'm hoping that my real scores will rise to match.

Anyway, your scores should start to crawl back up soon. That initial dip after you got your secured card would have been from the hard credit pull made when it was opened. That effect lessens over time, and as your card gets older, you'll get an increase from that, too.I've been thinking about getting a small credit builder loan just to get another installment loan on file, so maybe you can consider that after your secured card graduates to a regular credit card in six months or so.

I was definitely in the same boat (minus owning your home free and clear - that's a huge deal), and even though my rating is comparatively much better now, it's *so* annoying to read success stories on this board from people who have only been at it a few months, like they're privy to some trick that I don't know.

Message 3 of 6
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Try an unsecured card with Capital One.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems no matter what I do, my credit score goes in one direction - DOWN.

I admit that I deserve it, I had a slew of debts in 2010 that I just could not pay any more. Why is irrelevant. So I sat it out. During taht time I paid what I could religiously. My mortgage was never late. In April I finally paid it off, and my score dropped 25 points.

The more experienced members of this board suggested I get a secured card. I did, and I lost 2 more points with the inquiry.

The new card started reporting on my credit file. It had a balance of $17 and a credit limit of $250. I lost two more points.

Yesterday one of the old baddies dropped off, leaving 3 others. I got ONE point back. The others are scheduled to age off by May 2017.

My score is now at 623. Can I ever excpect it to get to, say.... 700? I am 65 years old and don't think I will live long enough to see that at the 1 or 2 points a year I am getting now.

If you do not have any installment loans then you are losing points for limited credit mix you can open an installment loan with no HP or ding to your score Alliant CU uses a SP for both membership and share secured loans you can also pre-pay it to have low utilization from the beginning see the link. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.