Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The/Cbna dispute comments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The/Cbna dispute comments

We are getting ready to apply for a mortgage on April 4 and for the past few months I've been having a hard time getting the dispute comments removed from this perticular company. I've searched and searched but to no avail. There is a wonderful thread that took me through the phone calls and while it worked for most it did NOT work for all.
Transunion was as usual the easiest.
Equifax states I need to contact the creditor which I did..(see below for that run around)
Experian was a nightmare. I was in the phone for an hour and a half and unfortunately I couldn't understand the employee at all making it all the more frustrating and she refused to transfer me to anyone else. Dispute comment still there.

Now when I called THD credit service they yelled at me... Yes yelled and proceeded to tell me I had no idea how credit works and that they couldn't help me because I disputed it and I now have to live with it. There was nothing to do. Now this man said a few other discriminating things that deterred me for over a month. He was very disrespectful an belligerant.

Yet... The comments still exist. I would love some feedback on this. I wrote a gw to THD as well as all other companys and all CRA. But THD is making my life difficult with this.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: The/Cbna dispute comments

Once you file a dispute, it is a factual matter.  You filed it, and the CRA needs, for legal reasons, to retain that fact in your file.

What creditors are concerned with is not that you have previously filed a dispute, but whether the dispute has been concluded.

While I certanly dont condone the rude behavior on the part of your creditor, I would concur with them to the point that they have no process or obligation to remove the recordation by the CRA that you filed a dispute.  And the CRA, for later purposes such as determining whether an attempted reinsertion can be entered, or if a civil action were to be filed, has legal reason to retain the dispute history in the consumer's credit file.

I would ask you prospective mortgage lendor specifically what their concerns are regarding prior disputes.

If the CRA has updated to show the dispute is concluded, they have no obligation to purge their records of the dispute papers. 

The other issue that a prospecitive creditor may have is the presence of any comments added by the consumer.

Under the FCRA, a consumer can, if the dispute is concluded and they still disagree, place a short comment in their file explaining their disagreement.

Perhaps your prospective creditor may want such comments removed.

In my opinion, that is the extent of what any creditor can ask of the consumer, and having the entire comments that record the filing of a prior dispute deleted is not reasonable or proper on their part.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue with cbna.  I called the executive response  unit at 1-800-733-0815. I simply asked the lady to have the comments removed cause I was trying to get a mortgage. She was very accommodating and even put a note to have it expedited so I could move forward with mortgage. They were removed within 2 days, and she even called me a few days later to see if it was resolved. And they also sent me a letter stating that they removed the dispute comments.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert thanks for the info but I was asked if I could have them removed to do so. I understand they are under no obligation to remove it. The account had incorrect information and I was entirely within my rights but if I had know they were going to be blatenly disrespectful to all consumers I'd have thought twice about even opening up the card in the first place. I have placed no comments on any of the accounts. As for the other comments I'm not entirely sure what you mean regarding a civil action, ect.

Uncle buck thank you for the phone number and I'll be calling first thing in the morning. It is exactly what I was looking and hoping for in posting this.
Message 4 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you are no longer disputing it then they should not be reporting that you are in fact disputing it. I would send a certfied letter to the creditor stating you are no longer disputing the account and request such comments be removed from the TL. If they fail to comply then I would file a CFPB complaint   http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gdale thank you and yes I will definitely be looking into this as well. I have in fact sent several letters.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

following this.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update!!

So I called the number above and explained my situation. I was transfered to executive customer service. Which was great because she did say that regular customer service could not handle it. I had to have my husband call in because it was in his name but she she said it will be cleared in 7-10 business days. I didn't need it expedited but that was an option!!! I'm so glad I posted this and got that number because it made all the difference!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, glad it worked out for ya Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats. I just had all of my remarks removed. It took 3 days total between all 3 bureaus. I followed the suggestions in the monster thread here. Good Luck.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.