Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Collections, The Debt, and The Fico Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Collections, The Debt, and The Fico Score

Hello and thank you for viewing my post! Smiley Happy

And yes I tried making  a pun, but it's very late, and my brain is fried Smiley Frustrated there maybe mistakes. i'll fix them soon after sleep...

maybe a drink. lol Thanks again in advance guys!

-------------------------------------------------------------------THIS IS NOT THE POST/THIS IS TO HELP UNDERSTAND MY SITUATION---------------------------------------------------------------,Let's start off by saying I am buying a house with my fiance hopefully within the next 2 months, my middle credit score (after being kicked in the mouth by a medical bill dropped form 704 and now) is a 635. I'm good to go for the FHA loan for first time buyers. I was also informed that there was some kind of USDA loan (I would of thought the loan was for food lol) which offers a 0% down loan which you need your middle score to be a 620. I qualified for it, but my fiance has a middle score of 614 score. My  fiance has 3 medical collections and he has a total (credit cards and collections) debt of $1600.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOW THE REAL PROBLEM----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1 - The Collections:  He has a debt of collections and credit totalling  close to $1500 which isn't bad comparatively speaking. This would be easy to pay down because we have saved up for this FHA loan, but we want to get the 0% down USDA loan, so we wouldn't need the down payment so much, but a little for the closing costs (Just FYI closing costs are out of this world). So we need to allocate the funds accordingly to the forecasted score.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 - The Debt:  I've been working on my credit for a while (Starting last march from no credit lol I took a late start), but I've been using the website for half of the time. I've had an experience with a PFD for a medical collections, but it was before here, and I thought it was normal for CAs to remove that from the report after paid. Anywho, now I know the "procedure" to maximizing your chances for PFDs (P.S. I got through with Data Medical Systems for a medical bill. It was and from the posts I've read are impossible to get a PFD with... Just weary if you see that collections name.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 3-  And The Fico-Score:  This question supercedes everything: My fiance disputed his medical collections (I don't know why I think he's already disputed them and he knew they were his lol). The loan officer said that because he had those collections disputed they weren't being calculated in his score that she was pulling.  Is she right about the disputed collections letting his score be seen as higher because it was disputed? If the collection come back verified and the previous question was answered  yes she was right his score will become much lower.

I'm just now looked, on his experian account that we use his middle score would be a 589, but I am 95% positive that it was just like that when we were preapproved for the FHA, so I'm going to assume the worst and say that the 614 will turn into something close to 589 I hope that may help, and not add more questions than answers Smiley Sad

So now we know we know the grandmaster riddle that plagues my life... (Some people may ask why not just get the FHA if you have the down payment) I'm not sure if we totally do because we had to get a little bit more expensive house (TOTALLY worth getting). Either way we could afford the monthly payments (the difference being somewhere under $45. lol I'd rather pay $45 than $6,000 out of pocket + the other closing costs which always seems like another down payment ----_----) So you can see the cost of this decision.

These are my direct questions... Extra information will be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy))

1.) Do you think his score will be drastically changed?

2.) Will it be possible to help raise his score in time if it does change (depending on how you answer question 2)

3.) Will the CA update/remove(as agreed for PFD) from his report if he disputes the item as already paid or something like that? We need this to update sooner rather than later.

3.2++)  Should I focus on PFDs since we've got 1 of the 3 going off soon.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Collections, The Debt, and The Fico Score

USDA is very common loan here in Smalltown.  Several Points 1)High closing costs 2) House has to be in almost  perfect condition 3) Seller can pay the closing costs 4) Usually the lenders here in Smalltown for USDA won't go under a 640 Fico and want a 660 or higher.   5) You cannot escrow repairs  Yes it is 100% loan 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump ~~ Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bump ~~ Smiley Indifferent

@Anonymous  since the bulk of your questions are regarding collections and PFD I'm moving your thread to 'Rebuilding your credit' for better exposure. Smiley Happy

While there is of course some overlap, if you would like feedback specific to your upcoming mortgage you would likely get more detailed info by starting a thread on the mortgage forum.

--UB

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and thank you for viewing my post! Smiley Happy

And yes I tried making  a pun, but it's very late, and my brain is fried Smiley Frustrated there maybe mistakes. i'll fix them soon after sleep...

maybe a drink. lol Thanks again in advance guys!

-------------------------------------------------------------------THIS IS NOT THE POST/THIS IS TO HELP UNDERSTAND MY SITUATION---------------------------------------------------------------,Let's start off by saying I am buying a house with my fiance hopefully within the next 2 months, my middle credit score (after being kicked in the mouth by a medical bill dropped form 704 and now) is a 635. I'm good to go for the FHA loan for first time buyers. I was also informed that there was some kind of USDA loan (I would of thought the loan was for food lol) which offers a 0% down loan which you need your middle score to be a 620. I qualified for it, but my fiance has a middle score of 614 score. My  fiance has 3 medical collections and he has a total (credit cards and collections) debt of $1600.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOW THE REAL PROBLEM----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1 - The Collections:  He has a debt of collections and credit totalling  close to $1500 which isn't bad comparatively speaking. This would be easy to pay down because we have saved up for this FHA loan, but we want to get the 0% down USDA loan, so we wouldn't need the down payment so much, but a little for the closing costs (Just FYI closing costs are out of this world). So we need to allocate the funds accordingly to the forecasted score.

Part 2 - The Debt:  I've been working on my credit for a while (Starting last march from no credit lol I took a late start), but I've been using the website for half of the time. I've had an experience with a PFD for a medical collections, but it was before here, and I thought it was normal for CAs to remove that from the report after paid. Anywho, now I know the "procedure" to maximizing your chances for PFDs (P.S. I got through with Data Medical Systems for a medical bill. It was and from the posts I've read are impossible to get a PFD with... Just weary if you see that collections name.)

PART 3-  And The Fico-Score:  This question supercedes everything: My fiance disputed his medical collections (I don't know why I think he's already disputed them and he knew they were his lol). The loan officer said that because he had those collections disputed they weren't being calculated in his score that she was pulling.  Is she right about the disputed collections letting his score be seen as higher because it was disputed? If the collection come back verified and the previous question was answered  yes she was right his score will become much lower.

I'm just now looked, on his experian account that we use his middle score would be a 589, but I am 95% positive that it was just like that when we were preapproved for the FHA, so I'm going to assume the worst and say that the 614 will turn into something close to 589 I hope that may help, and not add more questions than answers Smiley Sad

So now we know we know the grandmaster riddle that plagues my life... (Some people may ask why not just get the FHA if you have the down payment) I'm not sure if we totally do because we had to get a little bit more expensive house (TOTALLY worth getting). Either way we could afford the monthly payments (the difference being somewhere under $45. lol I'd rather pay $45 than $6,000 out of pocket + the other closing costs which always seems like another down payment ----_----) So you can see the cost of this decision.

These are my direct questions... Extra information will be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy))

1.) Do you think his score will be drastically changed?

2.) Will it be possible to help raise his score in time if it does change (depending on how you answer question 2)

3.) Will the CA update/remove(as agreed for PFD) from his report if he disputes the item as already paid or something like that? We need this to update sooner rather than later.

3.2++)  Should I focus on PFDs since we've got 1 of the 3 going off soon.

It is not appropriate to dispute correct information on one's credit report.  Your fiance should attempt to negoitiate if possible a PFD.  That will be the only way to get the tradeline removed.  Disputing the collection could in fact negatively impact his score.  As you are working with a loan officer, whatever she says goes in regards to making the loan happen, but the collection will come back verified and his score will drop.  

So, yes  you should focus on the PFD strategy. 

Message 5 of 6
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Bringing back the focus to the collections part...

who are are the collections agencies?

DOFD?

Are they updating monthly?

Other negatives?

utilization on revolving credit?

what you LO is asking you to do is kind of shady. A dispute will give you a temporary bump in scores while the CRA's are waiting for the information to come back. Which is good (sort of) to do the initial approval, but it won't stick. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.