Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Last Troublesome Negative

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Last Troublesome Negative

I've been rebuilding for almost two years now. The first eighteen months was steady progress, and I got all lates and collections paid and deleted. I was hitting 700 across the board. Then an old ghost from 2012 reported a collection on all three of my reports. The CA is JH Portfoliio, and they have told me a few times PFD is not an option. I've gone back to the OC BofA, and they can't do anything. The collection is only a little over $1,000 which I can just pay off. My main concern is getting it removed. My scores have all been stuck back at 670 now. It's very frustrating. I'm considering trying Lexington Law, but I'm not sure if they can help.

I'm sure this great community will have some good advice! It's looking like this is the last hurdle to getting back to a respectable 700+

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: The Last Troublesome Negative

Is the debt legit?  Does the debt collector now own the debt?

Does 2012 represent when it was placed for collection, or does it represent the DOFD?

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been rebuilding for almost two years now. The first eighteen months was steady progress, and I got all lates and collections paid and deleted. I was hitting 700 across the board. Then an old ghost from 2012 reported a collection on all three of my reports. The CA is JH Portfoliio, and they have told me a few times PFD is not an option. I've gone back to the OC BofA, and they can't do anything. The collection is only a little over $1,000 which I can just pay off. My main concern is getting it removed. My scores have all been stuck back at 670 now. It's very frustrating. I'm considering trying Lexington Law, but I'm not sure if they can help.

I'm sure this great community will have some good advice! It's looking like this is the last hurdle to getting back to a respectable 700+

I wouldn't hire LL for this, they can't do anything you can't do on your own.

I would suggest you pay it and start bothering them with goodwill deletion requests: both BoA and JH Portfolio. Harass the **bleep** out of them with kindness and requests for goodwill until it runs into the 7 year since dofd mark.

After it's paid, check that all the details are accurate - namely that it is marked closed, paid in full with a balance of $0, and that the dofd is accurate.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't familiar with the term DOFD.  After searching this forum, I came upon a way to find this date.  This resulted in pulling all three of my reports from annualcreditreport.com.  The unexpected piece of information is that the reports show when the negative item is going to fall off my report.  So it seems the DOFD was actually in late 2009/early 2010, and it falls off my reports in October 2016 to January 2017.

So the gardnering continues, and I don't have to do anything but just wait a few months for it to fall off.  Thanks to this forum saving me several hundred dollars again!  I can't wait to see my score take a huge upswing when it falls off!  I'm looking at getting my first mortgage mid-2017 possibly.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If youre going to apply for a mortgage in about a year, you're still gonna want to pay on the collection, albiet I wouldnt offer to pay it in full this late in the game.

Just because it falls off your report in a few months doesn't mean your loan officer won't see it when pre-approval time for the mortgage comes around. They'll want that account paid off before approving you, so you might want to just get it done now. See if theyll take 300 since theres not much they can do to collect on the debt at this point
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't realize that something that has fallen off your credit report can still be seen by others. Does this mean there is more historical data than we can see in the credit report?

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

*bump* I don't think that's right..... Wanting someone more experienced to chime in!
Message 7 of 22
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yes and you can try for an early exclusion once it gets close enough, TU does them up to 6 mths early , and the other two CRA 3 mths early . Just call and ask to speak with a supervisor, don't tell the rep bc they will try to get you to dispute this which won't help . And be very nice and kind to the supervisor and ask them for an EE on that .
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If youre going to apply for a mortgage in about a year, you're still gonna want to pay on the collection, albiet I wouldnt offer to pay it in full this late in the game.

Just because it falls off your report in a few months doesn't mean your loan officer won't see it when pre-approval time for the mortgage comes around. They'll want that account paid off before approving you, so you might want to just get it done now. See if theyll take 300 since theres not much they can do to collect on the debt at this point

Isn't that only true for a judgement? It's unlikely they will pull beyond the 7 year exemptions on other credit.

Message 9 of 22
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

They can see everything for the past 10 yrs if they pull a full factual report which they can for loans over 150,000. Most don't use this unless jumbo loan as it is expensive .
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.