Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Law Office of Daniel M. Slane

tag
ficophobic
Contributor

The Law Office of Daniel M. Slane

Hello, Has anyone had any dealings with these people?  According to the website they are debt collectors.  I've been receiving calls them and they have contacted my brother to leave a message for me.  I've never received anything from them and do not know what or for whom they are trying to collect.  If I call what should I said. I don't want to get into an argument with them, I know how collectors can be.  

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 529
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
derringhouse

Re: The Law Office of Daniel M. Slane

This is a  scam law firm   they  harass and intimidate  consumers who do not know their rights.

Send them a debt validation letter making them prove the debt is owed .

Also  check with  your local state bar to see if the attorney is licenced to practice in your state .

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 30
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@derringhouse wrote:

This is a  scam law firm   they  harass and intimidate  consumers who do not know their rights.

Send them a debt validation letter making them prove the debt is owed .

Also  check with  your local state bar to see if the attorney is licenced to practice in your state You mean to check your AG website to see if they are required to have a Lic to collect. Some states don't require it. Some due.

Hope this helps

They do not have to respond to a DV even if timely!!!!

Message 3 of 30
derringhouse

In  Texas where I live   it is the secretary of state  that determines  if they need to be licenced   not the attorney generals office.

They are required under the fdcpa laws to  validate the debt or the  debt is not valid and they do not have a right to collect on it.

I  am an author and  credit consultant and was a bill collector for five years  so I know this is a fact.

I use debt validation letters all the time to help my clients erase  bad credit and raise their credit scores.

Because this law firm  tries to fool consumers into  thinking they are being sued  consumers need to check to see that the attorney is licenced

to practice law in their state . Most so called law firms never do file suit to collect debts as many are not licenced or are barred  from practicing

in certain states, So this is very important information to know.

Have A Great  Day

Message 4 of 30
DaBears
Senior Contributor

That is Texas. Texas has probably the harshest laws for CA's I would love to live in that state lol. Unfortunately other states are not like Texas!!!!! There is 2 states  WI and Missisippi that debt once charged off does go away and does not need to be paid on ever.

Message 5 of 30
derringhouse

Fdcpa laws apply to all states .

The debt collector has to validate the debt  or the debt is not valid..

Message 6 of 30
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@derringhouse wrote:

Fdcpa laws apply to all states .

The debt collector has to validate the debt  or the debt is not valid..

Yes, the FDCPA laws do apply to all states.  Some state legislation is even stricter than the federal laws.  Such as DV's in Texas have the option of using the Texas statute vs. the Federal one.  

Under the FDCPA if a DV is sent within 30 days of contact, this will bar the CA from any collection attempt until such time as they are able to validate the debt.  It does not require removal of any prior collection activity that may appear on one's CR though.  They can send proper validation at any time and just continue the collection process.

Under Texas statute, they must reply within the 30 days of a timely DV or they must remove the TL.  That's quite a big difference between the 2.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 30
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@derringhouse wrote:

In  Texas where I live   it is the secretary of state  that determines  if they need to be licenced   not the attorney generals office.

They are required under the fdcpa laws to  validate the debt or the  debt is not valid and they do not have a right to collect on it.

This is true, however if they have posted on your CR, nothing states it must be removed if they do not validate.  They can ignore a DV but they are barred from collection activity until they do provide proof. 

I  am an author and  credit consultant and was a bill collector for five years  so I know this is a fact.

You have come over from the darkside.  j/k.   Smiley Happy 

I use debt validation letters all the time to help my clients erase  bad credit and raise their credit scores.

DVs are very good tools when used properly.

Because this law firm  tries to fool consumers into  thinking they are being sued  consumers need to check to see that the attorney is licenced

to practice law in their state . Most so called law firms never do file suit to collect debts as many are not licenced or are barred  from practicing

in certain states, So this is very important information to know.

It is a clear violation of the FDCPA to threaten legal action when no legal action is intended or able to be pursued.

Have A Great  Day

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 30
hausfrau
New Contributor

How can account continue to report to your CR if the company can't prove that you owe a debt?

Starting my rebuild!

Message 9 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.