Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Law Office of Daniel M. Slane

tag
hausfrau
New Contributor

Re: The Law Office of Daniel M. Slane

On the last security packet, we basically stated that we were unsure if it was a valid debt, and attached as much info as we could showing that we were making good faith efforts to find out, rectify, or take action to prove it isn't a valid debt. It was submitted 2 weeks ago, so we will see. He is ready to get E-8, like yesterday, the security issue is the only thing holding it up, and the only thing we couldn't offer good info on was this debt.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 21 of 30
hausfrau
New Contributor

As is usually the case, the army has basically let him know that they don't care if it is his, and to sell one of our kids if we have to just to pay it and fix the holdup.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 22 of 30
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

@Guiness

What do you mean by "the creditor can choose either" ?
Message 23 of 30
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Also you say you can only be sued in the state you reside in, but what about general collection practices? Do they go by previous state where debt was accrued or current state?
Message 24 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@hausfrau wrote:
As is usually the case, the army has basically let him know that they don't care if it is his, and to sell one of our kids if we have to just to pay it and fix the holdup.

If you know it isn't yours, file a police report for ID theft.  Send the report to the CRAs and ask them to block that TL.

Message 25 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Jurisdictions are where the consumer signed the loan application and where the consumer currently lives (creditor location is irrelevant). If those states are different,  the creditor has the choice of where to sue and can select the state with the longer SOL.

In order to be sued in a state other than your current residence, the other state would have to have some type of jurisdiction over you.  They can sue you in your current state but use the other states SOL.

Message 26 of 30
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

@Guiness

You say where the loan was signed but what if it isn't a loan and instead is is just a medical debt, do the same laws apply for medical as do for CC's and loans?
Message 27 of 30
hausfrau
New Contributor

I know they can't make us pay anything. And when I say "the army", I know it is actually just an individual or two. But the prevalent attitude among some of the other people involved has basically been to just make it go away. We just sent out another DV to who the original creditor is listed with LVNV to try to figure it out. We don't recall any account with Credit One Bank, but LVNV recently updated the OC with one CRA to Marin, which does sound vaguely familiar.

I know I sound pretty bitter about it, because I am, lol. A huge reason our finances tanked originally was going from civvy pay to army pay when hubs deployed. BUT I also know it's an issue due to not staying on top of things and not being well-informed on how to sort things out. The timing on it all just sucks, but such is life!

I'm feeling pretty froggy lately, though, so I'm hoping the momentum will keep heading things in the right direction.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 28 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 29 of 30
derringhouse

How many  cases against nco financial  and   american express and anh regent has your  mystery attorney   won.

What is your consumers attorneys name  and   what states does he practice in.?  

Where can we view the outcomes of these cases .?

What is his state bar number.  ?

Edited. I do not have the time to argue about

methods that I use every day for my clients to  help them achievegood credit.

Have A Great Day

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.