cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rebuild Has Begun (Includes Sample GW Letter)

tag
notmyj
Regular Contributor

The Rebuild Has Begun (Includes Sample GW Letter)

I have been lurking here for a while and didnt really have anything to post as all of my questions have been answered via the search box. I had my friend pull my credit from all three CRA's back in 4/09 just so I could see what I owed and to whom. at that point I had no idea how to "rebuild" my credit. I was going to just pay everything off and wait for the negs to fall off. Then recently I found all the other, faster, options such as DV, GW, PFD, etc.

I ran up a bunch of small ($1k max) cards and couldnt pay them after loosing my job in mid 2005. I have always wanted to get into realestate investing, but knew my credit score was holding me back. Then I got a good job with great pay, benefits, etc and had a son in 2008 so I put the real estate idea on the back burner, and ignored my credit problems. Fast forward to the present, and I am going to be coming into a large lumpsum of cash due to an auto accident that occured in 12/09. I know this is my chance to get my investing aspirations off the ground but I can not do it with scores in the 500's. So here I am trying to do this as fast and as effectively as possible. I have multiple collection accts, charge offs, late pays, and one judgement from the state unemployment (long story short, they over paid me and sent me a bill. couldn't afford it, refused to negotiate, and won a judgement).

I have already disputed most of the items with the CRA's, and as expected they are coming back as verified. I have been paying all my current obligations on time for the last 2+ yrs.and have done nothing else to "repair" my past. Till now.

Just this week, I have pulled all three of my reports and organized all of the negative accts in a file so that I can track what actions I have taken and when on which accts. To date, I have completed the following, waiting for responses from all letters....

NCO Finacial - PFD- $30

Great Lakes Lending (Consolidated student Loan) - GW- Late pays reported from 2005. Had no luck with them on phone, sent letter to CEO

Capital One - GW - Late pays in 2005, sent to CEO

HSBC - GW - Late Pays in 2005, sent to CEO

WFNNB/Pacific Sunwear - GW - Late Pays 2005, sent to CEO

Collection Company of America - GW - Paid less than full in 2007. Asking for delete

Not sure if any of this will work, but I figured why not try and hope for the best. I wrote the GW letters in a slightly different manor than I have seen posted all over the net. I will post the GW letter below for comments. After I recieve my settlement, I will then begin the DV and PFD process with the CA's so that I will be able to pay at once if a deal can be reached.

I have also applied for and recieved a Capital One card with a $500 limit to begin re building my credit as I currently had no active revolving accounts reported. The only open active accts are installment loans with perfect payment history with the exception being the student loans from 2005. Just wanted to post here to say thanks, and say why I'm here, what is motivating me, and what I have done with the help of everyone here.

My GW letter, Comments welcome....

Dear CEO,

I am writing in regards to the above referenced account and am requesting a good will adjustment on my payment history as reported to the 3 major credit bureaus. During course of this account I have had some payments that were late. I am hoping a good will adjustment can be made to reflect at least some of the missed payments can be reported as on time.

I am not in any way disputing the accuracy or validity of the payment history that has been reported to the bureaus. I am taking full responsibility for the late payments as they were solely my fault. I am aware that many people write to you asking for good will adjustments with stories of job loss, bad economy, etc. I will make no such stories in an effort to sway your decision. Instead, I will be brutally honest and admit that I was unable to properly manage my finances in a responsible way. I was young, had nearly no responsibilities and didn’t have the maturity to handle credit the way it should have been.

In the 8 years since that account was opened my life has changed for the better in ways that I could have never foreseen. I am now a responsible father with a family and have a need to correct my credit and have changed my ways now that my choices have huge impact on other people’s lives. In the past few years I have found gainful and solid employment with a government transportation agency even in this rough economy. I am doing my best to make good on all my bad debts, current and past as well as attempting to rebuild my credit history and taking steps to avoid credit problems in the future. Proof of this would be my repayment history of the last few years showing no late payments on any open accounts, as well as my current efforts to settle any and all debts from my past. I would be willing to submit a current copy of my credit report if it would be of any value to you or your decision.

It is with this letter that I respectfully and selflessly request for a goodwill adjustment on my prior payment history. I understand that you have no duty to grant, respond or even acknowledge this request, however I hope that you will at least consider.

Thank you for your time

Me

My house

My City, My State

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
notmyj
Regular Contributor

Re: The Rebuild Has Begun (Includes Sample GW Letter)

Not a single comment? I guess i nailed it?

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You are on the right track. If I may make a suggestion: don't rely on the CEOs. While letters to them are perfectly OK, most of the success I've seen the three years on here have come from the CSR-types in the basement of some creditor's building processing GW or PFD requests. Never discount the guys at the lowest level. BTW, if the lates on the OCs are 30 days and are a couple of years old or older, then I'd probably hold off on future GWs out of fear they may delete the TL instead (as they sometimes do). If 60 or up, then I'd probably send a GW despite the risk.

The GW looks great (though I'd personally stike "selflessly"). Good luck.

Message 3 of 7
Misses_November
Contributor

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but should I sign the GW or PFD letter?

Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Misses_November wrote:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but should I sign the GW or PFD letter?

IMO, it doesn't matter, but I do sign my OC letters and never ever sign any letters to CAs.

Message 5 of 7
Misses_November
Contributor

Thanks!!

Message 6 of 7
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

What was the outcome of this?  Btw- I love your letter, it refelcts my life as well, and I often wonder how many CA's get the same exact duplicates of letters from the internet and laugh at them and toss em? Anyways,  I knew ZERO about credit when I was younger and reckless and i also had no responsibility- and 6 years, a husband, 3 kids, a lot of growing up and responsibility and I am only now feeling the effects of my ignorance.  Found it nearly impossible to get a mortgage and I thought this stuff was long behind me in my past.  Thankfully this site and members are a great resource for helping me take the needed steps to take back control of my life so I can finally move on.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.