cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ball is rollin' (The ball being my credit repair journey)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ball is rollin' (The ball being my credit repair journey)

In February of this year, I decided that I was fed up with bad credit scores and that prompted me to start researching what credit was all about. I found the myFICO forum and became obsessed. I don't think I have stopped reading around on these forums since the day that I found them. As far as my credit, I have matured immensely in regards to personal finance so I believe that it is truely time to work the FICOs to the top and give them permission to stay there.

I invested in myFICO to truely find out what my FICO scores were. They were horrible, just as I had anticipated, but they were a lot higher than they were on Credit Karma. I have done a few things since my start date that I'll list below.

Revolving Accounts:

• I had a Discover It card that I abused and got charged off. Just got approved for the Discover Secured this week!
  • I had a Capital One that I abused and had to close. Just got approved for the Capital One Secured this week!
    • Both of those accounts are reporting as negative accounts.
  • Aside from those two accounts, I am an authorized user on one of my mom's Chase cards (CL $22,300), but I have been thinking about taking myself off due to her keeping the balance higher than I can afford for her to keep it.
  • Lastly, I've read a couple times that it is best to have 3 revolving accounts so I was looking into the Bank of America Secured card as well; Any thoughts on this?

Installment accounts:

• I have had a car loan for 2 years now and found out, after reading these forums and understanding, that my installment loan is only reporting to TU and EX, but not to EQ. I'm not sure if that is what is keeping my EQ score down, but it would make sense.
  • I have looked into the Shared Secured Loan through Alliant to get something reporting to my EQ account so I may be doing that here soon. Hoping to get the 20-30 point boost that everyone is claiming to have recieved. Maybe..

Collections:

• I've had a collection that was only reporting to EX deleted. I have had a medical collection that was reporting to all 3 deleted. Now, I am down to 3 (all three reporting to TU, EX, and EQ).
  1. Collection 1: Paid in full and closed back in 2012 (Central States, originally Westar)
  2. Collection 2: Paid in full and closed last year (Jefferson, originally Verizon)
  3. Collection 3: Reporting as unpaid and open. I paid it in full a few weeks ago so it hasn't reported paid yet (Convergent, originally T-Mobile)

I know that it says my goal is 650 accross the board, but I can not wait to get my scores all to show 600! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The ball is rollin' (The ball being my credit repair journey)

Good to see you working hard towards better credit! Get that auto loan to report to EQ along with the two years of payments and your EQ will definitely shoot up. I've heard some good things about BoA secured. For some people it graduates to unsecured after the 7th statement but usually it'll graduate around a year. Along with Discover IT secured. Cap One won't graduate but it'll show some positives with them and you'll get approved for their unsecured cards like the quicksilver. Keep workin! One year ago I filed chapter 13 and saw my scores drop to 400. A year later I'm at 620 across all 3 CB's. It's all about how bad you want it!!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Good to see you working hard towards better credit! Get that auto loan to report to EQ along with the two years of payments and your EQ will definitely shoot up. I've heard some good things about BoA secured. For some people it graduates to unsecured after the 7th statement but usually it'll graduate around a year. Along with Discover IT secured. Cap One won't graduate but it'll show some positives with them and you'll get approved for their unsecured cards like the quicksilver. Keep workin! One year ago I filed chapter 13 and saw my scores drop to 400. A year later I'm at 620 across all 3 CB's. It's all about how bad you want it!!

I went and talked to my credit union and they don't have a relationship with EQ so they're not able to report it. Is there any action that I can take to get the 2 years of payments for my car loan reported to EQ?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was reading on here and since November 2016 some people are reporting Cap Ones graduating. No rhyme or reason as to why. Supposedly all computer generated based decisions.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure about what action you could take tbh. I've never seen a company only reporting to 2 and not all 3 CB's even though I have heard that there are a few out there. You may have a financing company that won't ever report to EQ
Message 5 of 8
geekmama
Contributor

Discover does graduate. Some as early as 7 months
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they will graduate around a year along with BofA. Cap One I've never heard of it graduating
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One secured does graduate, but it is an offer for pre approval that you have to recieve. the pre approval offer states that after 10 mo of on time payments the card will unsecure.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.