Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The crawl to good credit has begun

tag
precision
Contributor

Re: The crawl to good credit has begun

Congrats on your success.

How did you manage a venture card and three amex cards with mid 600 scores and a ~4 year AAoA?

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The crawl to good credit has begun

Thanks!

Thats a great question.

So I didnt actually ourtight apply for the VentureOne card. After being approved for a Quicksilver One or Platinum card it is fairly common for Capital One to do a product change into VentureOne. I converted my platinum and QS1 into VentureOne's and then combined them at the 6 month mark. My goal was to just have the two main Capital One cards. I have outright applied for the VentureOne card and been denied due to "my credit lines with Capital One are to high for my score." If i were to apply for a card now id have to wait until my scores improve enough to justify a new CLI...but i do not wish to get another C1 card.. i will age the two that i have now. 

As for Amex..

Well i think i got a little lucky. I did the prequalify on their website and received offers for the EveryDay and BlueCash Everyday cards - neither had welcome offers + both came with the highest APRs. At that moment i went ahead and applied for the Everyday card and was given the 7-10 day messege. Next day i called it in and BINGO, approved with the 1K starting line. I ran about 500-600 dollars on it the first two months, used some of the offers the card offered, all on 20-30 transactions each month. Paid in full both months. Day 63 requested the CLI and approved for the 3x CLI. 

After the CLI i was intrigued and went ahead and applied for the BlueCash card. Instant approval with 5K line + the welcome offer. Ive been runnning 400-600 a month on it and paying in full. 

Due to upcoming travels i decided to get the Delta Skymiles card. applied and got the 7-10 day msg. Next day i called it in and received approval with a 1k line + welcome offer. 

So my theory is a combination of:  LUCK +  a solid relationship with AMEX + a potentially better internal score + AMEX may be hurting to add acounts due to loss of COSTCO deal and other business? Not sure about the last part. 

Amex has taken care of me. I will continue to make these my primary cards and PIF every month. Hopefully in 6-12 months my spending patterns and score will justify an APR reduction on these cards. Their willingness to permenantly update card terms as your credit improves is the reason I will make these cards my primary options, sorry Capital One. 

Hope this info sheds some light! 

P.S.

Sorry for any typos - typing on my phone.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.