Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The giant just woke up

tag
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

The giant just woke up

Hi everyone. I need help. I am trying to position myself to purchase a home in the next year. My current scores are EQ 587 TU 621. I had a car loan with Capital One Auto Finance. I had 3 payments remaining when the engine blew. I put it in the shop and the shop took its time finding me an engine. When the shop called me to pick up the car, they wanted $2500 more than we agreed to citing storage fees. I did not have the money to cover the fees which were more than the repair itself. I called the finance company and explained to them what happened. The rep told me not to make anymore payments until I got the car back. I never got the car back. The last payment I made was August 2007. The remaining balance is $1420 and is now a charge-off reporting a delinquent balance each month. The SOL for written contracts in my state is 10 years. I was just contacted by a collection agency for the balance. They also offered to settle for $428. I do not know who to pay. I'm afraid to pay the OC directly because I was thinking they may change my DOLA to the date the payment is received. The collection agency is not reporting on any of thr cbrs. How should I handle this situation?

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The giant just woke up

I'd send a PFD to CapOne since they still likely own it. They most usually keep ownership of a debt up to the point SOL expires, and they love to sue. If a few attempts at PFDing fail, then ask for a settlement and get it in writing from them before paying.

I'd largely ignore the CA, other than to send a DV. They'll go away in a hurry and a new one will take its place. Then send a new DV for that one too.

DOLA will change no matter what. Ignore that date. It means little and won't impact the length of reporting.

Message 2 of 3
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Re: The giant just woke up

Thanks so much llecs!

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.