Frequent Contributor
sassymomof2

The giant just woke up

Hi everyone. I need help. I am trying to position myself to purchase a home in the next year. My current scores are EQ 587 TU 621. I had a car loan with Capital One Auto Finance. I had 3 payments remaining when the engine blew. I put it in the shop and the shop took its time finding me an engine. When the shop called me to pick up the car, they wanted $2500 more than we agreed to citing storage fees. I did not have the money to cover the fees which were more than the repair itself. I called the finance company and explained to them what happened. The rep told me not to make anymore payments until I got the car back. I never got the car back. The last payment I made was August 2007. The remaining balance is $1420 and is now a charge-off reporting a delinquent balance each month. The SOL for written contracts in my state is 10 years. I was just contacted by a collection agency for the balance. They also offered to settle for $428. I do not know who to pay. I'm afraid to pay the OC directly because I was thinking they may change my DOLA to the date the payment is received. The collection agency is not reporting on any of thr cbrs. How should I handle this situation?

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: The giant just woke up

I'd send a PFD to CapOne since they still likely own it. They most usually keep ownership of a debt up to the point SOL expires, and they love to sue. If a few attempts at PFDing fail, then ask for a settlement and get it in writing from them before paying.

I'd largely ignore the CA, other than to send a DV. They'll go away in a hurry and a new one will take its place. Then send a new DV for that one too.

DOLA will change no matter what. Ignore that date. It means little and won't impact the length of reporting.

Frequent Contributor
sassymomof2

Re: The giant just woke up

Thanks so much llecs!

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}