Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The hard work DOES pay off!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The hard work DOES pay off!

Hi all!  

So I've been working on getting collections paid and removed from my report.  Last week I sent an email to the customer relations dept. at Jefferson Capital Systems to validate a debt of $1657.  All I did was send a plain jane debt validation request (that I found on this forum).  I received this response today in the mail:

Dear lamb33,

We acknowledge receipt of your correspondence concerning the above referenced account.  Jefferson Capital Systems, LLC acquired your Verizon Wireless account and balance of $1657.45 on or about April 4, 2016.  To resolve your dispute, we have terminated further collection efforts and closed our file.  We have also notified the credit bureaus to delete our trade line from your credit file.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

WHAT!?!?!  

I am a bit worried that it may be sold to someone else, but this was a huge open collection that was reporting monthly.  Even if I don't get a score bump, the deletion of this account leave me with 2 medical collections (crossing my fingers for a pfd) and my reports will be CLEAR of collection accounts.  I never in my life thought that would be attainable.  So thankful for this community for the guidance and advice.  We got this everyone!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The hard work DOES pay off!

Translation - when they bought the debt, all they got was your name, address, amount owed and social security number. If push comes to shove they never could prove the debt and they relied on the gullibility of people to just send money. You should have sent the VOD request long ago.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooohhh- I didn't know it worked like that.  I mean, I know they prey on people to just take them at their word, but I didn't know they could get away with having just the most basic of information.  

I also didn't know that asking them to "show me proof" was a thing I could do until I signed up on myfico.  Very naive and unknowlegable about these things I was Smiley Happy  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why I set of a board called Debtorboards ten years ago.

Message 4 of 6
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

@lamb33.

Kudos to you for actually taking the steps to send a letter to the CA. I've never done that (although my debt is/was verified), you took a step and it proved to work in your favor! KudosSmiley Wink

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on that! How long did it take them to respond? I have a verizon bill listed with them I may try this first.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.