Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The hardest part

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

The hardest part

After 3 years of rebuilding I think I've reached the hardest part.  I've beat virtually every baddie to death with GW, PFD, and DV, and only have one paid remaining that it appears I'm stuck with.  The DOFD is 2006, so it will be gone soon.  I have a couple historic lates going on 4 years old, and a string of inquiries from app sprees stretching over the last 6 months.  My AAOA is 2 months away from hitting 4 years.  My utilization is in great shape, and with those old exceptions my payment history is perfect.

So what next?  The only cure for me now is time, I guess.  12 months from now I will hopefully be in a much better scoring bucket.

My mortgage and car note have the lowest possible rate, and I have more credit cards than I will likely need, so it's not like I really need it to go up.  But I've worked on it so long I just want to see it improve.

Reaching the point where there's really nothing more to do has to be the hardest part of rebuilding.  I've gotten so used to seeing progress, now that it's leveling off I'm disappointed.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Re: The hardest part

don't be disappointed since there's no more "cleaning" you have to do.  A lot would LOVe to be in your position.  Besides, as you see the credit limit increases, you will get your satisfaction Smiley Happy  I've really enjoyed reading your posts during your clean up.  I'm sure it's helped a lot of people as well.

As I'm down to 2 negatives left, that will most likely not be removed, I have decided to use my knowledge with helping my friend with his credit.  It gives me something to look forward to AND I love to see him get the same excitement I used to get

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 2 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

don't be disappointed since there's no more "cleaning" you have to do.  A lot would LOVe to be in your position.  Besides, as you see the credit limit increases, you will get your satisfaction Smiley Happy  I've really enjoyed reading your posts during your clean up.  I'm sure it's helped a lot of people as well.

As I'm down to 2 negatives left, that will most likely not be removed, I have decided to use my knowledge with helping my friend with his credit.  It gives me something to look forward to AND I love to see him get the same excitement I used to get

Thanks; that's not a bad idea.  I have one or two family members that might benefit from my help, if only I can get them on board.

(edited for typos)

Message 3 of 11
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

p- I have throroughly enjoyed your posts, and has given me hope.... though i understand it is a long, NOT FUN, road to fixing credit....

I feel so at home here with people who may have messed up but are striving to fix themselves and their past unlike many other people....

the people of this board including you are the best! Smiley Happy 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 4 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous_V wrote:

p- I have throroughly enjoyed your posts, and has given me hope.... though i understand it is a long, NOT FUN, road to fixing credit....

I feel so at home here with people who may have messed up but are striving to fix themselves and their past unlike many other people....

the people of this board including you are the best! Smiley Happy 

Thanks for the encouragement.  And don't worry, it is fun, especially when you see some big score jumps.

I figured out a long time ago, you can sit and whine about how unfair the game is while you lose, or you can learn the rules and win.  For me, this site is like a cheat guide to the game of financial life.  No sense in giving up like some other people you mention...

Good luck!

Message 5 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Sort of in a similar boat.

Just sent another GW letter to NBT bank, their last late payment falls off in September. Not really holding out much hope as I was told it should be sent to their general address. Considering the age, sending in letters may have no value but a clean report still looks better when it's time for a mortgage.

All I can do now is spend less, pay more, and manage utilization. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hi - p. 

What an amazing thing you've done!  Try and round up some friends and fams that need credit assistance.  What a gem they'd find in you.  I've tried to help, but it seems that people just DO NOT want to deal with their credit.  As we all did at one point.  I'm trying to tell them the last thing to do is wait until they NEED credit.  I guess we all learn the hard, stubborn way!

I'm having FICO score boost withdrawals, myself.  I've definitely plateau'd and don't expect any movement for a LONG WHILE.  I mean years.  Unlike you, I'm stuck with a BK and a bunch of paid collections that won't go anywhere.  I've decided not to sweat the collections since the BK will be there til 2015 anyway, they'll be gone by then.   The good thing is I won't let any of my revolving accts report balances bc I fear the drops - and that keeps me out of that kind of debt. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 11
iwannapool
Established Member

This cracks me up! I have just been working on ours a month or so (not long enough to know if there is any improvement) and I am already hassling friends to get busy working on theirs...Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
p-
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

... The good thing is I won't let any of my revolving accts report balances bc I fear the drops - and that keeps me out of that kind of debt. 

Yeah, I feel you.  I'm all hardcore about what I put on the cards becasue I don't want to end up in hock to the CC companies.  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being patient and giving your scores time to grow can be hard, but at least you're done with all the letters, emails, and phone calls.  When I first started gardening 3 months ago it was very difficult to stop apping for cards/CLIs/APR reductions, etc.  Now I'm really enjoying PIF every month and knowing that my scores are going up every month as my AAoA grows.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.