Established Contributor

Re: The road to 661

*should've
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! New to the forums and MyFico world.

Hokies2379, definitely do not throw in the towel! Work on getting those remaining collections paid and removed and, if your util% is high, under 20% at the very least. Keep doing what you're doing, because it's working.

I just got approved yesterday evening for an Amex ED with a $1k limit. My EX is 657 with 1 paid collection from a year ago, a formerly seriously past due student loan that has been caught up and current since August (I paid it off last week, but the loan servicer hasn't reported yet), and very small, not too prime, credit lines reported (all have been increased but haven't been reported yet). Util% was 16% when I applied. I stalked there website for weeks and use the pre-qualify tool several times with no luck. The night I applied, I stalked them some more and even looked at the terms and condition pages, lol!

With that said, you can get this card! Wait the 90 days and try again. Let us know how you fair.
Message 22 of 24
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

It's at 15% now. But it is what it is. I'll try again at 701
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an Amex for years and years and it ended up being paid off through a Ch 13 BK in 2004.  I've read that once you have a derog with Amex, they'll never give you another card, is that true?  They keep pushing their secured card on me, but I don't want that.  Not applying now because I'm about to close on a mortgage, but I'm curious if another Amex will ever be in my future.  

Generally speaking, the only way to get back with Amex is to pay them back for what you burned them.  Otherwise, it is unlikely that they will let you back in.

Like I said, they were paid in full through the structured settlement...nothing was written off.  But because it went through a BK, they closed the account.  It's no longer on my credit report.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.