cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is a delinquent account on my CRAs (all three)

tag
tavalon
Established Member

There is a delinquent account on my CRAs (all three)

That say that I owe about 150.00 to ATT from about 2009. I'm 99.9% sure I never opened such an account as I have moral issues with ATT. And the timing is definitely after I began having those politically based issues. Anyway, I recently decided I wanted to see what my credit rating was. I'm thinking about getting a car and since I had a bad time credit wise, as a youth, I've been cash and carry for years.

Yes, there is a question in here. I disputed the ATT charge about 2 weeks ago and just received a letter from the collection agency, not a credit reporting agency, asking for more information to expedite resolution. More information on an account I know nothing about? And at the end, it says "your account is accruing interest on a daily basis so please contact our office for an exact payoff amount." Does this sound as if this collection agency can't prove that this is my account? It seems that way to me.

Also, I don't see why it would be helpful to contact them. I have no other information but vaguely remember that if you contact them, they can reset the clock. I am really unsure if I'm right about this, but would like more experienced people to tell me if this has happened with them and how they handled it.

Thanks.

tavalon

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ThisIsJamez
Established Member

Re: There is a delinquent account on my CRAs (all three)

You should send a debt validation letter to see if it is actually yours. If they continue to contact you, file a BBB complaint.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 652 (EQ)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
tavalon
Established Member

So, going the route of disputing directly with the credit reporting agencies wasn't the best first step?

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@tavalon wrote:

So, going the route of disputing directly with the credit reporting agencies wasn't the best first step?

Worth the shot as you dont know what the account is.... Never send a creditor or CA any info it is up to them to verify the account is actually yours.. If it truly is not yours file ID Theft police report and then you will be able to remove it from your CRs.. You might also be able to file a CFPB complaint using that letter as proof they dont know what they are doing. Your choice and good luck Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
ThisIsJamez
Established Member

@gdale6 wrote:

@tavalon wrote:

Worth the shot as you dont know what the account is.... Never send a creditor or CA any info it is up to them to verify the account is actually yours.. If it truly is not yours file ID Theft police report and then you will be able to remove it from your CRs.. You might also be able to file a CFPB complaint using that letter as proof they dont know what they are doing. Your choice and good luck Smiley Happy

+1

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 652 (EQ)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
tavalon
Established Member

Yeah, that was my thought. How am I supposed to know anything more about this account when I don't think it's mine? It really felt like a fishing game from them.

Unfortunately, there isn't even a reference on any of my CRAs, but they referenced it, so I know something is going on. I wish the CRAs would keep us more in the loop but then there are so many of us, and really they aren't there to serve us, not really, huh?

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you filed a dispute via a CRA, they (the CRA) are REQUIRED to have responded to you within 5 business days after expiration of the 30-day reinvestigation period.

You disute via a CRA in order for them to handle the dispute.

The furnisher is required to respond back to the CRA prior to expiration of the reinvestigation period with their findings, which must either be verification of accuracy as reported, correction of the reported inaccuracy, or statement that they cannot veify.  The CRA then considers their response as part of their final determination.

Contacting the consumer for more information is not part of the process, and can be ignored.  It does not suspend or toll the CRA obligation to conclude the dispute.

There is no provision for the furnisher to extend the dispute period or require more information.  They could, if they consider the dispute lacks adequate basis for them to investigate, respond as such to the CRA and request the CRA dismiss the dispute.  Final decision is up to the CRA with compulsory period for sending that determination to the consumer.

If the CRA does not send Notice of Results of Reinvestigation within 5 business days after expiration of their 30-day reinvestigation period, they are in violation of the FCRA.

Ignore the letter from the debt collector, and simply await the required determination by the CRA.

Message 7 of 10
tavalon
Established Member

So it sounds like I was right when I thought this was a fishing expedition. I was wondering when I would hear anything from the CRAs and you cleared that up too. I can see why you are such a valued member.

Eq 746

Trans 666

Exp 642

Explain that?!

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As an aside, I would not recommend filing a complaint with the CFPB.

It is not a violation for them to ask for more information. They would be in violation if they dont respond to the CRA, using their request as basis for not doing so.

It is simply an informal request that you can, and should, simply ignore.

Message 9 of 10
tavalon
Established Member

I disputed it and it has been removed. And my Fico jumped by 15 points. Yay.

Tavalon
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.