cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They didn't validate, now what?

tag
dockfam

They didn't validate, now what?

Over 30 days ago I sent validation letters to a few collection accounts that were showing on my report and are actually past the statute of limitations.  I have not received any answer back from them.  Now what do I do?  Can't I request the reporting agencies remove them from my reports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: They didn't validate, now what?

Have you pulled your reports to see if they are still listed?  They aren't under any obligation to respond within any time frame or at all. If your DV was timely they must cease all collection activities however. 

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

The primary intent of the DV process is to provide consumers a respit from active collection on a debt if they send a timely request for debt validation.

It is a requirement that they cease collection actiities until they provide the consumer the components of validation, including verification of the debt, and if also requested, the name of the original creditor and an itemiizatio of the debt.

The process does not compel response by the debt collector, or relate to deletion of their credit reporting.

Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

More than a year ago, I tried a credit "repair" company because a buddy of mine kept bugging me to try it ... the results were disastrous. They were disputing EVERTHING on my report even thouse I had indicated only two items which I was about to dispute on my own. The credit agencies sent me letters stating that any future dispute would be considered frivilous. Needless to say, I dropped that company like a hot potato.

My recommendaion is to NEVER, EVER use so-called "credit repair" company/individual services. Did I say NEVER?

Message 4 of 6
dockfam

I did these on my own.  What is my next step?  How can I get these to stop reporting?  A few were over 7 years from the initial default but just sold over and over to collection agencies.  I guess i misunderstood, I thought that if the creditor did not respond within 30 days then the debt can be removed....since they can't validate.

What would be the steps to take to get them removed from my report?

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

A DV does not compel deletion if unanswered.  If it is sent in a timely manner, 30 days from first contact/dunning notice.  Then it places a cease collection on the account until such time as they do validate the debt.  If it's not sent in a timely manner, it compels nothing.

Those that are over 7 years old should not be still reporting on your CR.  You will need to research the TL to determine the DoFD of the debt.  That is the first time the debt went into arrears and was not brought current.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.