Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I've Learned Here

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things I've Learned Here

I know this is just the beginning of my education on credit. And some of you have known all this for years. But I was thinking about how much I've learned in a short while here. Thank you!!!

1. Utilization

I have generally always maxed out my cards because I didn't know it mattered. From now on, I'll be working to have 0 balances on all but one and keep it in that sweet under 10% range.

2. You don't have to pay CC interest

PIF?! Genius!!!

3. Rewards can and should be acquired

I always thought airline miles and travel points cards were some sort of scam or hassle. They're neither and why NOT fly to Europe for free???

4. Amex 3X CLI

It never occurred to me that you could ask for a CLI. Just took Jet Blue Amex (DH's) from 7,800 to 22,000. With an SP. Wow.

5. Shopping Cart Trick

I only availed myself of this to get a J Crew and VS card b/c I shop there anyway. But when you have been rejected by CC companies, that warm and inviting Congratulations is some sweet medicine. On a rainy day, this is confidence building at it's finest, even without pulling the trigger.

6. Baddies are not permanent

Still hoping they work for me but GW letters are genius. 'Nuff said.

7. Credit is a game and the rules can be used to one's advantage

Thank you for teaching me that no doesn't always mean no (recon) and two, three or a dozen no's only means try harder (GW)!!!

8. There ARE smart and helpful people on the internet

Thank you all!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: Things I've Learned Here

@Anonymous wrote:
I know this is just the beginning of my education on credit. And some of you have known all this for years. But I was thinking about how much I've learned in a short while here. Thank you!!!

1. Utilization

I have generally always maxed out my cards because I didn't know it mattered. From now on, I'll be working to have 0 balances on all but one and keep it in that sweet under 10% range.

2. You don't have to pay CC interest

PIF?! Genius!!!

3. Rewards can and should be acquired

I always thought airline miles and travel points cards were some sort of scam or hassle. They're neither and why NOT fly to Europe for free???

4. Amex 3X CLI

It never occurred to me that you could ask for a CLI. Just took Jet Blue Amex (DH's) from 7,800 to 22,000. With an SP. Wow.

5. Shopping Cart Trick

I only availed myself of this to get a J Crew and VS card b/c I shop there anyway. But when you have been rejected by CC companies, that warm and inviting Congratulations is some sweet medicine. On a rainy day, this is confidence building at it's finest, even without pulling the trigger.

6. Baddies are not permanent

Still hoping they work for me but GW letters are genius. 'Nuff said.

7. Credit is a game and the rules can be used to one's advantage

Thank you for teaching me that no doesn't always mean no (recon) and two, three or a dozen no's only means try harder (GW)!!!

8. There ARE smart and helpful people on the internet

Thank you all!

+1

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 2 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I have learned all that and more since I joined in December! Some great knowledge here!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 7
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

I've learned all that, and that some people have enough credit for me to retire on lol

some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 4 of 7
RashShakur
New Contributor

+2

Message 5 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

+gazillion Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
burghpa
Regular Contributor

Agreed on all these points..

Plus I learned this -  have at least 2 or 3 credit cards, and keep balance only one card, others report zero. Also, the importance of gardening and not wasting any HP on trivial CLI, if possible  wait for auto luv  Smiley Happy

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.