Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third card option for weak credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Third card option for weak credit...

Decisions Decisions.. So surprizing i got approved for the capital 1 platinum and the qs1.  I really wanna get a third revolver. I'm an au on a sears mastercard but i'm guessing that doesnt do much for rebuilding. I did the prequal for milestone got a no I cant get credit one bc i had a past charge off. Its looking like the easiest option will be sdfcu or open sky.  Any1 have any other ideas?  I opened a savings but havent trekked down to the partnered branch yet to fund it.. From what I understand open sky reports unsecured vs  sdfcu reporting secured.  What I hate about both cards is that they do not graduate.  What I like about both is no HP. What I'm wondering is for scoring purposes is it a substaintial difference whether a card reports and secured or unsecured.  I want a relationship with sdfcu bc i hear once your scores are good around 720 (dangit i'm so far away mid 5's to high 5's... lol) there are fantastic loan oppurtunities ect. Would it be worth it to get both cards? perhaps I should get the open sky and then just  keep the savings active.  Is there another card option that anyone can think of that is easy to get as the capital that is unsecured?  I'm rambling and thinking out loud but I cant seem to decide and i've had such great help from this board so far.  Thankyou

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Rebuilder2016
Contributor

Re: Third card option for weak credit...

I recently got approved for a Discover Card $3000 CL with my husband as a cosigner. I didn't like the thought of a cosigner but it really bumped up my score.
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

how did that work are you on as an Authorized user or is it set up as a joint account?  Idk that I could get a cosigner but just curious how much of a boost did your score get?

Message 3 of 27
Rebuilder2016
Contributor

It went up 40 points on all three credit reports and it's a joint with me as the primary card holder. My score was around 580 and his score is 688.
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow that is a great jump! I wonder if fico points have to do with limits? or card types? i wish there was a dummies chart or book that could break this scoring science down lol 

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Decisions Decisions.. So surprizing i got approved for the capital 1 platinum and the qs1.  I really wanna get a third revolver. I'm an au on a sears mastercard but i'm guessing that doesnt do much for rebuilding. I did the prequal for milestone got a no I cant get credit one bc i had a past charge off. Its looking like the easiest option will be sdfcu or open sky.  Any1 have any other ideas?  I opened a savings but havent trekked down to the partnered branch yet to fund it.. From what I understand open sky reports unsecured vs  sdfcu reporting secured.  What I hate about both cards is that they do not graduate.  What I like about both is no HP. What I'm wondering is for scoring purposes is it a substaintial difference whether a card reports and secured or unsecured.  I want a relationship with sdfcu bc i hear once your scores are good around 720 (dangit i'm so far away mid 5's to high 5's... lol) there are fantastic loan oppurtunities ect. Would it be worth it to get both cards? perhaps I should get the open sky and then just  keep the savings active.  Is there another card option that anyone can think of that is easy to get as the capital that is unsecured?  I'm rambling and thinking out loud but I cant seem to decide and i've had such great help from this board so far.  Thankyou

vickyvm,

My scores were exactly where yours are now just a month ago and being a student of myFICO forums has taught me so much. I, like you, got both the Cap1 cards and kept checking the Pre-qual sites and not much love. Through reading I google'd Amazon pre qualify and app'd with an $800 approval, I got the FingerHut acct for $600 and an Overstock.com acct for $350 (with a $200 CLI just a few days later when I got up the nerve to go for). These were all reporting within a few days of opening (actually before I even got the cards).

The SDFCU option is very highly touted here mainly for the "Shared Secured Account" option. You can search that and you'll get tons of info about how to work it. If you do it properly you'll come out of it with both an installment loan and a CC.

Blessings to you...

Message 6 of 27
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not a general proponent of store cards, but I think in your case a Sync backed store card might be the answer.  It is preferable to going with a 'sub prime' or even secured card IMO.  Speciffically, if you shop there at all, I would suggest Amazon store card.

Your Cap1 cards will grow quickly with responsible use, as will an Amazon store card.  In a short time, you can pursue other prime options if you wish, without a lot of INQs or AAoA damage from low tier cards. 

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome advice from both of you.  When you apped for the amazon card was it thru that shopping card trick? Those dont seem to ever pop up for me yet.  

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

awesome advice from both of you.  When you apped for the amazon card was it thru that shopping card trick? Those dont seem to ever pop up for me yet.  

Amazon store card,  Synchrony, is TU pull in general and always a HP app.   IF you can wait 6 mths while your scores improve it seems Barclays Rewards would be an option.  Barclays in theory, likes 6 mths history with revolvers and their rewards card is for Fair Credit.  Smiley Wink

edit:  a popular Synch card is Walmart for rebuilders as well.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so much for that info.. i'd love to get a barclays.. i'd try that in 6 months. the other subprime and secured cards just arent seeming so appealing. But if i have to I will.  Once my capital ones register to my report i think ill totally go for that walmart since it's also sychrony.. hmm.. At the moment i'm so HP timid lol. I wonder whats the lowest walmart generally takes.  I might be borderline.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.