Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Has to be Rock Bottom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This Has to be Rock Bottom

Hello All,

Feeling really down right now, figured i might as well make the first steps in what would call a long journey.  Been feeling really good right now for the first time in a while.  Got a new job getting paid decent money in a really expensive city.  decided to take a peek in the dirty closet to check on the old skeletons.  What i found was flooring to me:

Trans Union: 501 - $21,000

Equifax: 501 - $14,000

Experian: 501 - $21,000

Student Loans - $13,000 - OK  <-- and i need to go back Smiley Sad

Discover Card - $6k - OK

Capitol ONE - $700 - Charge Off <-- Really Kicking Myself for burning this bridge

Cable Company - $100 - Collections <-- Obvious mistake as my service is still up and running fine. My $ depends on the internet

Asset Acceptance Judgement - $2000 - 12/08

What really put the Icing on my cake was when i saw the trauma, i immediately went to my Banking Site and applied for a secured Card. been banking with them for about 10 years. and i have kept over $8k in there since i got the job.  Been saving to get my brand new family out of my FU%$ing parents house. #EMERGENCY status.

They denied me a Secured Card!!! I legit walked into the bathroom because i didn't know if i was gonna have a good ol' fashion cry or not (was infront of the wife). 

So Now What?

Should i pay a service to start working on this for me?

is there a national service that could help me?

I'm only 28, i feel like i made enough mistakes to last me a lifetime.  Where should i start?  I do accept swift kicks in the butt, please limit them as i am already pretty hard on myself.

This forum seems like it was just what i needed.

Thank You

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This Has to be Rock Bottom

First off, stop using your energy to be hard on yourself and start using it to improve yourself. Beating yourself up over past mistakes is very unproductive and unhelpful to you at this time. We all make mistakes, it is all part of life. The regret that you have now, shows that you are learning and becoming a better person.

I am not really sure what you mean by Transunion 501- $21,000 nor the info listed for the other two bureaus. Is 501 your credit score? Is $21,000 the amount of debt that you owe?

Don't kick yourself for burning a bridge with Capital One, because they will give you a new bridge. Capital One is one of the most forgiving companies out there. They will often issue new accounts to people with Capital One charged off accounts that they have never paid.

You need to figure out the dates on these accounts and post them so others can assist you better. As far as the Capital One account, is there also a collections reporting for it? If not you may want to pay it. What date did you make your last payment to Capital One for this account?

The old cable bill may be easily removed with a "pay for delete"

I would go to your bank and talk with a manager and express your frustration about the secured card denial. If they do not help you, then I would find a new bank to put your money in.

Try to get a Capital One secured card or an OpenSky secured card.

Make it a point to spend a couple hours a day reading on this forum before you make any decisions on how to proceed in rebuilding your credit, the knowledge you will gain will help you in making the right decisions in your rebuild.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

Feeling really down right now, figured i might as well make the first steps in what would call a long journey.  Been feeling really good right now for the first time in a while.  Got a new job getting paid decent money in a really expensive city.  decided to take a peek in the dirty closet to check on the old skeletons.  What i found was flooring to me:

Discover Card - $6k - OK

Capitol ONE - $700 - Charge Off <-- Really Kicking Myself for burning this bridge

Cable Company - $100 - Collections <-- Obvious mistake as my service is still up and running fine. My $ depends on the internet

What really put the Icing on my cake was when i saw the trauma, i immediately went to my Banking Site and applied for a secured Card. been banking with them for about 10 years. and i have kept over $8k in there since i got the job.  Been saving to get my brand new family out of my FU%$ing parents house. #EMERGENCY status.

They denied me a Secured Card!!! I legit walked into the bathroom because i didn't know if i was gonna have a good ol' fashion cry or not (was infront of the wife). 

So Now What?

I'm only 28, i feel like i made enough mistakes to last me a lifetime.  Where should i start?  I do accept swift kicks in the butt, please limit them as i am already pretty hard on myself.

Thank You

Don't be hard on yourself. That's what this site is for. Everyone that I have encountered is very nice and informative. I'm sure most people here will tell you to work on paying off some of your debt. Which I agree, but I would attempt to get a secured card else where if possible. Also, try to do PFD letters on the accounts that you want to pay off. Only contact them once you have funds to pay them. Put first I would check with that cable company to get that removed if you currently have service with them and they are reporting that to CRAs. Hope some of my info can help and I'm sure the Vets will chime in. Good Luck and be patient.

Message 3 of 12
crrredit
Established Contributor

Or go to a competing bank and say, hey, I'll move my steady $8K account over to you guys if you'll set me up with a CC, secured if necessary. Bring your recent statements to show them you're for real. You might try that at a local credit union. There are some national credit unions people on these boards use to get secured cards. One of them doesn't even do a hard pull of your credit. Sorry, can't recall the names of those credit unions. Perhaps someone will chime in or you can do a quick search. Lots of great info here on these boards.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks like a pretty workable situation to me!  I think you are fueling too much anxiety and it's having an impact on your health and your sleep...

From what I see, your first and really only serious problem is to settle that Judgement. That's why nobody will extend you credit... And on top of that, sooner come later, they will come looking to get their money through a wage garnishment order once they evidence that you have the means to pay.  So far, that ticking time bomb has not gone off. However, once they attempt to garnish your pay for that $2K, there will be additional legal fees.  Your best bet is to pay it - and drop your precious savings from $8K to $6K and be able to relax alittle bit.  

Bankruptcy is NOT an option. You're 28 and you're in good shape. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like that judgement is falling off in December, that will really boost your score!!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to Thank Everyone for their comments

@LearntoImprove

Your assumptions about the layout of the data is correct

to speak on the dates of everything:

CA                        Score           Total Debt

Trans Union:       501 -            $21,000

Equifax:                501 -            $14,000

Experian:             501 -             $21,000

Account                            Balance                      Status                          

Student Loans -              $13,000 -                     OK                     and i need to go back

Discover Card -               $6k -                             OK

Capitol ONE -                  $700 -                         Collections/Charge Off            Last Payment = 02/2013

Cable Company -           $100 -                         Collections                                  Transferred to Collections = 09/2014

AA Judgement -               $2000 -                      12/08

@meteor / @kaylava

correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like you both have opposing views regarding my judgement. do you think they will garnish even though it will be over seven years in december?

Can anyone recommend (or Not) an credit repair agency that would write letters for me? I will continue to read this forum every day.  thanks to Everyone once again for your advice

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take all that energy and turn things around.  It can be done.  Wake up every day and tell yourself you will do better than the day before.  You can do the same things as most of those companies.  Just a little work.  But sounds like you have the energy to get the job done.  Cap One will let you back in once you start to straighten out some of those baddies.  Start working on one at a time.  You WILL get there.  You can read many successful stories here to keep you inspired.  Water under the bridge now.  Don't think about what you did, think about what you're going to do.  I have faith.  Woman Wink  Keep us posted.  

Message 8 of 12
jbsea
Established Contributor

I'm not sure about the judgement... it should fall off your report but on if they can still enforce it.  But I do know that you should NOT go to a credit repair place.  They will not be able to do a better job then you can.  I know how you feel, when I started my repair journey I really wanted to do just that.  But I read and listened and from where I was just 8 months ago till now is night and day.  These forms are the best thing that happened to me.  Just be real honest and open when you have specific questions and don't be afraid to ask.  Everyone is very helpful. Life someone said above, read the forms, lots and lots of great information to be found here.  There is nothing that you are going though that a 1000 people here have not gone though.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, I'm going to agree with you....you're in a pretty crumby spot. Can't sugar coat that at all. The good news is that just on here I have seen worse situations turned around in the things I've read. Stop being so dang hard on yourself. I'm starting this journey at 34 years old. By the time you're my age you should be well past all of this....and likely sooner. 

I don't know much, but I will tell you this: READ READ READ READ. This forum is a WEALTH of knowledge and they CAN and WILL help you. Don't pay some blood sucking lawyer to "fix" your credit when you can do it yourself. They really can't do anything that you can't do yourself with the proper guidance, and that guidance can be found on here. 

Set yourself some goals, and bust tail to meet them. If you fail, get up and do it again. Its fixable, man. The sky ain't falling.....

My last piece of advice...I know living with the parents sucks sometimes....BUT....if they're ok with it, then USE that to your advantage....dedicate the money you would be spending on an apartment or house to getting everything patched up. All things in good time.....sometimes you have to take a hit on the old pride to do what is best for you and the family. Think ahead of the here and now, and use your current situation to build a future for ya'll. 

Good luck, sir!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

Discover Card - $6k - OK

So Now What?

Thank You

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.