Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is interesting...what I just found from a CA

tag
reno55
Regular Contributor

This is interesting...what I just found from a CA

So yesterday I received a response to a pfd I sent out that said this:

Dear Mr reno55, Attached is a statement of account of your debt. You now have all of the information neccessary to pay the amount due above. If you cannot make immediate payment in full you must contact Blah Blah 555-121-1212, to make arrangements to pay this debt. If we do not receive payment in full or a written or telephonic response from you we will assume this to be your refusal to pay this obligation and take appropriate action to collect this debt. To insure blah blah blah

This is the trade line:
Dana & Pariser Co Balance: $194 Pay Status: Collection Account Date Verified: 1/2008 Account Type: Open Account Original Balance: $94 Responsibility: Individual Account Original Crediotr: Micro Electronics 01 Past Due $194 Loan Type: Collection Agency Attorney Remark: placed for collection Date Placed for Collection 1/2007 Estimated date to be removed 12/2009

Upon being urged to by some members I called TU this morning and they told me the DOFD on this item is 1/2003. Now the interesting thing is that this is for a bad check screwup I had. The date on the check is 10/17/2006. There is no way for it to be in 2003 if the check wasnt written until 2006. The question is now how do I dispute this? I want the trade line deleted and I now know the CA is providing false information to TU.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: This is interesting...what I just found from a CA

Well you know you could ofcourse dispute as "not mine", and secondly if you know your out of SOL then you can write them a DV letter if this is collection agency reporting! Also if you feel they are reporting incorrectly or falsely i would make mention of that!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 12
reno55
Regular Contributor

Well they are defnitley reporting false information as how could the DOFD be 2003 if the check was written 3 years later?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

reno55 wrote:
So yesterday I received a response to a pfd I sent out that said this:

Dear Mr reno55, Attached is a statement of account of your debt. You now have all of the information neccessary to pay the amount due above. If you cannot make immediate payment in full you must contact Blah Blah 555-121-1212, to make arrangements to pay this debt. If we do not receive payment in full or a written or telephonic response from you we will assume this to be your refusal to pay this obligation and take appropriate action to collect this debt. To insure blah blah blah

This is the trade line:
Dana & Pariser Co Balance: $194 Pay Status: Collection Account Date Verified: 1/2008 Account Type: Open Account Original Balance: $94 Responsibility: Individual Account Original Crediotr: Micro Electronics 01 Past Due $194 Loan Type: Collection Agency Attorney Remark: placed for collection Date Placed for Collection 1/2007 Estimated date to be removed 12/2009

Upon being urged to by some members I called TU this morning and they told me the DOFD on this item is 1/2003. Now the interesting thing is that this is for a bad check screwup I had. The date on the check is 10/17/2006. There is no way for it to be in 2003 if the check wasnt written until 2006. The question is now how do I dispute this? I want the trade line deleted and I now know the CA is providing false information to TU.

You can dispute, doesn't mean the TL will be deleted.

The CA can correct the information.

Is this your debt? If so, don't dispute as not mine.

Message 4 of 12
reno55
Regular Contributor

It is mine.....they sent a copy of the check with my name on it...right now its set to drop off in 2009 so if I dispute the information and they correct it to 2006 its stays longer......i dont know which way to go with this
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to ask why you would want to risk it being added for another 3 years...Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
reno55
Regular Contributor

I dont but I wonder if there is something I can do to catch them on the fact that they are reporting an incorrect DOFD?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

reno -
If they're reporting it wrong, then the CRA offers you the option to dispute it so the CA can correct it. Not so it can be deleted entirely. That would be like you failing a test completely in school for getting one wrong answer out of 25 or whatever.

Disputing the wrong date would cause it to be updated.. making it a NEWER collection, which would ding your credit even more, esp if they also refuse a PFD!

I would write them, again, with a copy of their own letter, and re-offer a PFD. Or, if you know the debt is yours and there's nothing to argue about, just call them and talk to a CSR. Many say you should never do this, but I have had a lot of success in calling. If you find a friendly CSR or a supervisor, address your PFD directly to that person. CAs are so used to people arguing their debts that they probably didn't even read your letter. Calling ahead can help grease the skids that you are a nice, cooperative guy who wants nothing more than to pay his debt and get it off his CR.
Message 8 of 12
reno55
Regular Contributor

That was my thinking Ivan...but I wonder what if I call and they absolutely will not delete? Do I tell them I am not going to pay? Or just pay it and be done with it?
Message 9 of 12
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

I dont believe I would take a chance on waking them up. It falls of next year, I would leave it alone..But thats just me
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.