Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This may be a stupid question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be a stupid question...

...but I couldn't find an answer, so I thought I'd ask.

I read that you shouldn't sign a DV letter to a CA, and I'm wondering why not?                                                                   

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
inthematrix
Regular Contributor

Re: This may be a stupid question...

Because some CAs are unscrupulous and that signature on your letter could mysteriously find itself attached to other documents that you never actually signed.

Starting Score 7/5/10: 498 (EQ)
Current Score 659 (EQ) 699 (EX) 712 (TU)
Goal Score: 700 (for now)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
John060675
Valued Contributor

Supposedly there have been instances when a CA used your signature at the bottom of letters against you.  They would forge your signature on items once they saw what it looked like.

I would not put it past them to do this, even though it is very illegal.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Smiley Surprised  Should all correspondence to a CA not be signed then?  Is it still considered "valid" without a signature?

Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. Smiley Surprised  Should all correspondence to a CA not be signed then?  Is it still considered "valid" without a signature?

There's no law out there saying you'd have to sign it. I never did on my DVs or PFDs to CAs.

Message 5 of 7
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I typed all my letters and just used whatever the cursive font was as my signature.  I'm a stickler for signing things but I'm not keen on having my signature, or anything else, forged.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never sign my DV letter...except for once.  And in that one time, the debt collector did, in fact, forge my signature on all sorts of documents.

In the end, I ended up retaining a lawyer to after the lawyer in charge of the lawfirm/collection company.

As for the collector, the abovementioned owner practically threw him under the bus.  The collector was an ex-con, and had two prior convictions on forgery.  And too bad for him, as this was "strike three" under California's "Three Strikes Law". Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.