Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatening & Suspicious Call--Scam?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Threatening & Suspicious Call--Scam?

This afternoon I received a call from someone claiming to be a collection agency working on behalf of Citi.  The girl told me that she was trying to "serve" me and that she had the representative (of the firm suing me) online.  She transferred me to some AA guy who claimed to be working for Citi.  He said that my case was about to go to litigation and that if I did not pay, my wages would be garnished and my credit score would be ruined for 10 years.  He stated that he was calling about a 2006 Citi debt for $3,000.  I had the option to pay the entire amount ($2,500 with discount) or make two payments of $1,500.  I told him that I could not pay the $1,500 altogether so he placed me on hold while he "discussed with counsel" whether I could be given ability to make 3 payments instead of 2.  After putting me on hold for a minute, he told me that he had gone to bat for me and that I could make the payments but that he needed my credit card information in order to secure the deal.  I asked to think about the matter but he refused to give me a number where I could reach him.  As we talked, I quickly Googled the Texas statue of limitations (where I live).  The SOL is 4 years.  2006 was 9 nine years ago!  I told him that I would like to consult with an attorney before giving him my credit card info since I believe that the SOL has run out. 

The caller id appeared as "unknown number" so I'm unable to call back.  I tried calling my phone company to see if it has number where call came from but was not successful.  Please let me know if this sounds like it is a scam or if I should be worried about going to court.  I find it ironic that I received this call on the same day that my two cards (BofA-$5k and Chase $4k) arrived in the mail.  I checked my credit scores and two are now over 700.  Please let me know what you think!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Threatening & Suspicious Call--Scam?

Totally a scam.

I suppose if you had a charge off in 2006 then they might have purchased the debt, but once it is outside SOL it is outside SOL.
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I figured that this was the case but you never know I guess.  Scary to know that some people have lots of our personal information!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this was a real collections agency and not a scam, it is illegal for them to sue or threaten to sue you on a debt past the statute of limitations. You can sue them for up t $1000 plus attorney's fees under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. With some more information about the caller, you might want to contact a consumer attorney--if they think you've got a good shot they will often take your case for free, since the collections agency would pay your attorney if it loses.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  I figured that this was the case but you never know I guess.  Scary to know that some people have lots of our personal information!

First question - do you actually have a CO from 2006 from Citi that has not been settled?

Next, I think they can sue, but you have to assert that the SOL has expired in order to get the case dismissed.  It also is not automatic that they get to garnish your wages, you would still have a chance to pay, or make arrangements.

Any place that demands the credit card info with no other info is likely to be very shady, at best.  I have heard of ppl giving the CC info and the unscrupulous CA takes everything left on the CL and then comes back again.

They like to make it out like they have a Sheriff's Office car on the way to your house and they can call it back, if you hurry and give them all the money right now.

You were wise to not give it to them and to mention the SOL and the attorney word.

Message 5 of 6
J91605
Frequent Contributor

It is a scam. In Texas you can not garnish wages.

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.