Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing Money At Them

tag
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Throwing Money At Them

That's up to you if you want higher limits. Being 4 months old I would use them, keep util % low for atleast 1 year. Depending on the lender, they usually convert over to unsecured cards.

DaBears

Message 11 of 23
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

That's up to you if you want higher limits. Being 4 months old I would use them, keep util % low for atleast 1 year. Depending on the lender, they usually convert over to unsecured cards.

DaBears

Capital One doesn't unsecure, BoA does. I mean would higher limits help me when going for unsecured cards? Or am I ok where I am at? I was wondering because of what the discover denial letter said.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 12 of 23
dessy82
New Visitor

In my personal experience, I would not increase your secured limits unless you need them. I opened a Cap 1 secured card last year, and within about 6 months with good utilization/payoff, I was able to apply for a Cap 1 Quicksilver rewards card (unsecured) and received a $500 limit, with a chance to have that automatically increased if I pay my bill on time for the first three months. Based on my experiences it is all just about finding the right cards to help you rebuild. These are the only two cards I have at this point and my credit is rebounding well.
Message 13 of 23
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@dessy82 wrote:
In my personal experience, I would not increase your secured limits unless you need them. I opened a Cap 1 secured card last year, and within about 6 months with good utilization/payoff, I was able to apply for a Cap 1 Quicksilver rewards card (unsecured) and received a $500 limit, with a chance to have that automatically increased if I pay my bill on time for the first three months. Based on my experiences it is all just about finding the right cards to help you rebuild. These are the only two cards I have at this point and my credit is rebounding well.

Thank you. I definitely don't want to keep throwing money at these cards. Hopefully at the year mark, everything will work out and I can get an unsecured card.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 14 of 23
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

Did you just get approved for that Bank of America Card since your last post? Well if you did congrats!

Well, applying for that Discover card was worth a shot, if you got turned down the only thing holding you back is time. As for throwing more money into your secured cards and what your next course of action would be, here is my advise.

Capital One (secured) - Most I would put is $500 and not close your oldest account until you get the Prime Cards that you want.

AAMCO Car Care - Pay it off and request for a CLI after statement posts

Bank of America - $500 - $1,000. I would really take care of this one. The higher your limit while in secured mode, the higher your approved CL would be upon graduation (6mo - 1yr). It will be a hard pull to graduate, but that same time you can also negotiate for a Credit Limit.

And the most important piece of advice I can give, especially given your inquiries is to Garden until your cards are at least a year old. I wouldn't apply for anymore cards until you start getting some nice Preapproval/Prescreening offers from Prime lenders in the mail. No more applying and Garden Garden Garden! 😁

Patience is a Virtue my friend.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 15 of 23
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@Jeff007245 wrote:

Did you just get approved for that Bank of America Card since your last post? Well if you did congrats!

Well, applying for that Discover card was worth a shot, if you got turned down the only thing holding you back is time. As for throwing more money into your secured cards and what your next course of action would be, here is my advise.

Capital One (secured) - Most I would put is $500 and not close your oldest account until you get the Prime Cards that you want.

AAMCO Car Care - Pay it off and request for a CLI after statement posts

Bank of America - $500 - $1,000. I would really take care of this one. The higher your limit while in secured mode, the higher your approved CL would be upon graduation (6mo - 1yr). It will be a hard pull to graduate, but that same time you can also negotiate for a Credit Limit.

And the most important piece of advice I can give, especially given your inquiries is to Garden until your cards are at least a year old. I wouldn't apply for anymore cards until you start getting some nice Preapproval/Prescreening offers from Prime lenders in the mail. No more applying and Garden Garden Garden! 😁

Patience is a Virtue my friend.

Well here we go on my year long wait! Smiley Wink The fun begins!

Message 16 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Just garden a few months and keep the util down.  Then you'll be good to go.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 17 of 23
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Just garden a few months and keep the util down.  Then you'll be good to go.

What would be the optimal time? 6 months, a year? or what?

Message 18 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking in 6 months you'll be good to go.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 19 of 23
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I'm thinking in 6 months you'll be good to go.

And at that point should I just check preapproval offers? And I guess if nothing then, wait another 6 months?

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.