cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time-Barred Debt on Private Student Loan (Credit Report and Lawsuit Questions)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time-Barred Debt on Private Student Loan (Credit Report and Lawsuit Questions)

A few years ago I fell on hard times and for the last few years I have been working on improving my debt situation and in turn my credit. Currently, I have a private student loan that is "scheduled to continue on record until March 2017" on one of my credit reports. I haven't recently checked the other two reports but i'm positive that it's on there too. This particular debt was signed through a promissory note while I was living in CA (I currently live in N.Y.) In CA the statute of limitation is 4 years while it's 6 in N.Y.

I have been doing some research the last few weeks and have a few questions.

Does the statute of limitation apply to the state I currently live in or the state that I lived in when I took out this private loan? I believe that this item could become time-barred debt before March 2017. 

If 7 years passes and it falls off my credit report/becomes time barred debt can it be sold to another collections agency and put back on my credit report? 

Can the original creditor still sue me for this debt even though it is in collections? I have been contacted by collections as well as the original lender from time to time and i'm not sure if they original creditor can still sue if the debt is time-barred. 

How much will this impact my credit score as a whole even when it's off my reports? And what ways can I boost the score? 

I am trying to figure out the best way to navigate this debt with both my finances and credit in mind. 

Any information would be very helpful. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Time-Barred Debt on Private Student Loan (Credit Report and Lawsuit Questions)

Civil action may be brought by the owner of the debt to seek a judgment.  The debt collector can bring legal action if they have acquired the debt, otherwise it would be by the creditor.

The FDCPA explicitly permits a debt collector to bring legal action in either the state where the contract creatng the debt was executed, or in the current state of residence of the consumer.  However, in most cases, they will seek a judgment in your current state of residence, for several reasons.  It simplifies admin mantters such as service of notice if it is done within your current state.  Additinally, if they seek and obtan a judgment in another state, it is not enforceable in your current state until they have first gone through a procedure called "domestication of the judgement," which involves filing a copy with the court in your current state, and asking that they make in enforceable in your state.

That takes time, effort, and $$, so the more direct approach is to simply seek the judgment in your current state. 

The statute of limitations that applies in any proceeding is that of the state where the action is being tried.

If action is brought in NYS, it would be the SOL for NYS. However, many state SOL statutes incorporate what are referred to as "borrowing" provisions, which permit the court to use the SOL period of the state where the contract was executed if it is a shorter period than that of the trial court.  I believe that NYS has a borrowing provision, which would incorporte the shorted preriod of your prior state as the relevant period,but am not sure.  You  need to check NYS code on SOL for written contracts to determine if a borrowing provison applies.

As for expiration of SOL and its appllication to your debt, NYS recently enacted new regualtions relating to time barred debts.  See 23 NYCRR Part 1.

You may wish to look into the requirements of the new regs.  However, chage of residency may complicate their reasonable knowledge of expiration of SOL.

The provisions relating to time barred debt does not become effective until Aug 30, 2015.  The others became effective March 3.  Key provisions include:

• Debts Where the Statute of Limitations Has Expired:  The new regs will, as of August 30, require debt collectors to "maintain reasonable procedures for determining the statute of limitations applicable to a debt it is collecting and whether such statute of limitations has expired."  23 NYCRR § 1.3(a).  If a debt collector attempts to collect on a debt for which the statute of limitations has expired, the collector, prior to accepting payment, must provide notice that it believes that the statute of limitations may be expired and that, if the consumer is sued on such a debt, the consumer may be able to prevent a judgment by informing the court that the statute of limitations has expired, and that if the consumer makes a payment on a debt for which the statute of limitations has expired, or admits, affirms, acknowledges, or promises to pay such debt, the statute of limitations may restart. 
  • Substantiation of Consumer Debts:  Under the new regulations, a consumer can request "substantiation" of the debt at any time during the collection process.  Once the debt collector receives a request for substantiation, it must cease collection and provide documentation proving the validity of the debt and the creditor's right to collect the debt within 60 days.  23 NYCRR § 1.4.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.