Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time after request

tag
music2hisears
Contributor

Time after request

I forget the acronym, but I know it has to do with requesting verifiecation of debt. I did this with a company that had contacted me a couple of months ago almost 2 1/2 months ago. How long do they have from that request before the debt is considered invalid? I seriously have no clue what they are coming after me for since I've been diligent about cleaning up my debt.

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: EQ 672 TU 682 EX 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Time after request

The debt verification (DV) process is basically a procedure that notifies the debt collector that the consumer contests the debt, and if sent within 30 days of recepit their collection (dunning) notice, requires them to cease further collection activities until they have first provided the requested debt verification.

There is no time period in which they must respond,  They can, if they so choose, cease active collection without any response.

If the DV request is not sent within 30 days or receipt of dunning notice, it imposes no cease collection bar, and the debt collector can continue collection activities without any response.  Hopefully, they will still proivde verification, but are not required to do so before continuing collection activities.

Message 2 of 4
Shokk
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The debt verification (DV) process is basically a procedure that notifies the debt collector that the consumer contests the debt, and if sent within 30 days of recepit their collection (dunning) notice, requires them to cease further collection activities until they have first provided the requested debt verification.

There is no time period in which they must respond,  They can, if they so choose, cease active collection without any response.

If the DV request is not sent within 30 days or receipt of dunning notice, it imposes no cease collection bar, and the debt collector can continue collection activities without any response.  Hopefully, they will still proivde verification, but are not required to do so before continuing collection activities.

Depending which state you live in.  Some, as in Texas, have much stronger laws regarding debt collection.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Correct.

However, state debt collection reqirements dont amend the federal FDCPA, they supplement it. 

A resident of Texas, for example, who sends a DV under the federal FDCPA gains no additional requirment that the debt collector must respond to their DV within 30 days.  They must make a separate request specifically invoking their state requirements.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.