cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time needed for a collection to disappear

tag
retsoksirhc

Time needed for a collection to disappear

Not sure if this is the right category...it seemed closest.

I have a collection on my credit report for an old AT&T account. I moved, transferred my service, and they set up a duplicate account and never closed the old one. I didn't know about it until a few weeks ago, and ATT customer service was happy to fix it. Does anyone know how long it will take for the collection to come off my credit report? I'd like to pull my report again, since the collection is listed as of a few weeks ago, but I don't want to pull it before the collection is removed.

I'm assuming ATT will pull the account back from collections, since it was their mistake, and they removed the balance on the account...or will I have to send a debt validation letter to the collection agency before they will remove it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Time needed for a collection to disappear

Hi there - I think this is the perfect place for your post.

Did AT&T tell you that they would get it off your reports?  If they did tell you that, did they say how long that would take?  When I had a collection deleted it just took a few days for all three credit bureaus to get the info updated.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 6
retsoksirhc

ATT didn't say anything about getting it off my reports. I had mentioned that it was affecting my credit when I talked to them, and I got a call back while I was at work, so I didn't answer...they left a voicemail saying they cleared the balance on the account and it was all set. Maybe I guess I'll just let it go for the moment, I'm not planning on buying anything I need credit for in the near future...if it's still there in a couple months, would a DV letter to the collection agency be the best way to go, or would a phone call suffice?

Message 3 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Even if you aren't going to buy something on credit anytime soon - this is a case of mis-reporting and it is up to AT&T to get this off your credit reports.

I know it's a time-consuming and exhausting process, but my advice is to stay on AT&T until it is off your reports.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

A recent CA can hurt a score as much as 80-90pts. Ouch! I know your not looking for credit, but this will be on your CR for 7.5yrs.

It can also cause problems with getting a CC or getting an apartment, your car/house insurance maybe go up.

I would suggest to take care of this, while it is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Contact AT&T, tell them you want a letter stating this was a mistake.

This account should have not been sent to the CA and you want it removed..

Once you have this letter, send it to the CA and the CRA who is reporting this CA.

Better safe, then sorry. You never know when, you may need credit in the future.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 6
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

+1 I had the same situation a few years ago. I called the CA and verified the collection had been recalled. I had the CA delete from the credit reports. AT&T didn't do zip for me. The CA -I believe Franklin somebody- was extremely helpful. It was gone in a matter of days. No follow-up phone calls needed.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.