Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to get started

tag
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Time to get started

My story: In 2009/10 things went bad for me in my mid twenties. Got a DUI, lost my job, got evicted. It was bad. And like an immature idiot, I closed my eyes to all of it. OK, fast forward to now. Requested my credit reports and have been reading this forum like mad. My TU report came today. My eviction is on it, to the tune of 5k. Another 6k in court fees. Both have been sold to CAs. Also on the TU report is $55 and $115 for the last month of two car insurance policies that I must have never paid for when I moved in 2014 (owed to Credit Collection Services), as well as $230 and $131 for the last month of cable and internet, again after I moved (owed to Enhanced Recovery Company). The ERC debts I have paid off through the two OCs, but are still marked as having been previously in collections. Lastly is a charged off Kohl's card for $400, which on the report is listed as Kohl's still owning the debt. Here's my plan:

Since Kohl's seems to still own the debt for the card, my move should just be to offer Kohl's to pay it off in full in exchange for a deletion, yes?

As for the two debts I owe to CCS, I hear PFD is also the way to go there.

For the ERC debts, I hear that company is no longer able to verify anything, and any dispute will result in a quick deletion. 

Now for the bigger debts. 

The eviction is listed at 5k, and even though it happened in October 2009, it says it won't fall off until 6/2017. Why eight years? Is it worth it to challenge the SOL, or should I avoid poking the bear?

The rest are all of the court fees. They fall off starting in 9/2016, and ending 12/2017. So I guess I play the waiting game on those. 

In the meantime, I need to get positive TLs. Should I begin with a few secured cards just to get the ball rolling? Maybe hope to graduate by the time the last baddie falls next Christmas? 

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time to get started

I'm no expert on judgements but it sounds like a lot of this should fall off soon, and I would think the eviction would fall under the 7 yr mark..  I've had success along with many others for an EE, just takes some effort.  Also, start disputing the collections and asking for dv, you don't know if the amount owed is what they're trying to collect.

Message 2 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums!

I'd try a Cap1 secured card. Very good for rebuilding. I think you have the right idea on how to handle the negatives on your reports. I am curious about the date on that eviction though. Was October 09 when it was submitted?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 5
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

It happened late October 2009 and I had until sometime in late November 2009 to vacate. 

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mysterythemoon wrote:

My story: In 2009/10 things went bad for me in my mid twenties. Got a DUI, lost my job, got evicted. It was bad. And like an immature idiot, I closed my eyes to all of it. OK, fast forward to now. Requested my credit reports and have been reading this forum like mad. My TU report came today. My eviction is on it, to the tune of 5k. Another 6k in court fees. Both have been sold to CAs. Also on the TU report is $55 and $115 for the last month of two car insurance policies that I must have never paid for when I moved in 2014 (owed to Credit Collection Services), as well as $230 and $131 for the last month of cable and internet, again after I moved (owed to Enhanced Recovery Company). The ERC debts I have paid off through the two OCs, but are still marked as having been previously in collections. Lastly is a charged off Kohl's card for $400, which on the report is listed as Kohl's still owning the debt. Here's my plan:

Since Kohl's seems to still own the debt for the card, my move should just be to offer Kohl's to pay it off in full in exchange for a deletion, yes?

As for the two debts I owe to CCS, I hear PFD is also the way to go there.

For the ERC debts, I hear that company is no longer able to verify anything, and any dispute will result in a quick deletion. 

Now for the bigger debts. 

The eviction is listed at 5k, and even though it happened in October 2009, it says it won't fall off until 6/2017. Why eight years? Is it worth it to challenge the SOL, or should I avoid poking the bear?

The rest are all of the court fees. They fall off starting in 9/2016, and ending 12/2017. So I guess I play the waiting game on those. 

In the meantime, I need to get positive TLs. Should I begin with a few secured cards just to get the ball rolling? Maybe hope to graduate by the time the last baddie falls next Christmas? 

By 'eviction' I'm assuming you mean "judgement" for money owed as a result of the eviction - court ordered evictions themselves do not appear on credit reports, but monetary judgments awarded later (for unpaid rent, damages, etc.) do. While the eviction may have occurred in October '09, the judgement was likely filed months later - mid 2010 from the fall off date. Judgements are excluded by their filing date rather than the date the debt occurred.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.