Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to remove an incorrect collection item

tag
roniram
Regular Contributor

Time to remove an incorrect collection item

I was wondering how long should it take a collection agency to remove an incorrectly posted collections from my credit report?  I have already spoken to the creditor, and resolved the issue with them directly. I am in the process of waiting for several credit card payoffs to post to allow my credit scores to increase, and I don't want this newly reported collection from preventing me from obtaining some prime cards I might qualify for.

So, does anyone have any idea how quickly the credit reporting agencies can remove this from my reports?

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Time to remove an incorrect collection item

The collection was reported by the debt collector, who is the only party that can report its deletion.

If you spoke with the creditor, how was the issue of reporting by the debt collector resolved with them?

Did the creditor agree to first withdraw the assigned collection authority?

If so, then the debt collector will first have to receive termination of the authority from the creditor.

Then, the debt collector will have to initiate deletion.  Deletion based on termination of collection autnority is not a specific requiremetn of the FCRA.

It is an administrative reporting directive of the CRAs in their credit reporting manual.

Whether the debt collector will promptly initiate compliance with that reporting requirement is iffy, and you may have to follow up.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.