Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to walk away from rebuilding

tag
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Time to walk away from rebuilding

I think it is time for me to walk away from rebuilding and possibly the boards for a bit. I am flattened. I have been on a non-stop, all consuming bend and have hit the wall. I filed a ID theft report last night with my local police. Faxed it over to the OC and got an email today saying it will NOT be considered w/o showing a "reasonable suspicion" naming who I think stole my identity. I have have jumped through hoop after hoop on this. Everytime I cross one I get hit with a new one. They fall off in 2015.I guess I just suck up a year of crappy credit and driving an unreliable car.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time to walk away from rebuilding

@spike69 wrote:

I think it is time for me to walk away from rebuilding and possibly the boards for a bit. I am flattened. I have been on a non-stop, all consuming bend and have hit the wall. I filed a ID theft report last night with my local police. Faxed it over to the OC and got an email today saying it will NOT be considered w/o showing a "reasonable suspicion" naming who I think stole my identity. I have have jumped through hoop after hoop on this. Everytime I cross one I get hit with a new one. They fall off in 2015.I guess I just suck up a year of crappy credit and driving an unreliable car.

Don't send it to the OC!!!!!!  Send it to the CRAs with a fraud affadavit!  The OC gave you a bunch of crap, it's like if you got robbed and the insurance company saying they won't pay unless you tell us who did it.   I mean really??????  

Follow these steps and it will be removed within 4 days!.  

1.  Take the police report, make a copy of it.

2.  Fill out the FTC fraud affadavit found here. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0094-identity-theft-affidavit.pdf

3. Make a copy of your Driver's License/passport, etc. showing proof of your identity.

4.  Send all of these into the CRAs that are showing this fraudulent account on your report.

§ 605B. Block of information resulting from identity theft
[15 U.S.C. § 1681c-2]

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7

This is going to sound really bad, but honestly I hate ca...

This is going to sound really bad, but honestly I hate car loans and would never encourage anyone to get one. It's funny how they've become a way of life. Student loan, car loan, home loan, loan loan loan. Personally I have nearly fifty thousand dollars in student loans and that's enough of debt culture for me. Right now I'm trying to pay my credit card balances down. 

For me, getting my credit better isn't about going back and borrowing more money. It's about being able to get a good job and being able to manage credit responsibly. I don't think car loans are really a good thing, honestly. I realize this may not be what you want to hear, but I personally think the less debt the better.

My advice would be to save the money you would have spent on a car loan for a few months and buy an older yet reliable vehicle.

Sorry, that's just an aside and nothng to do with the fraud you're dealing with. I agree with what the other poster said. Keep pursuing it until you get it removed from your CR. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's criminal behavior.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 3 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: This is going to sound really bad, but honestly I hate ca...

Follow Shogun's advice, and do it now.

You'll feel a HUGE boost after this is taken care of, trust me.  You'll be on cloud 9.  Don't take this lying down, FIGHT IT.

Message 4 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Don't give up just yet! I know how helpless you are feeling but you will win ... just follow the great advice that Shogun gave to you and let us know how it works out for you as we may have other recommendations to help you move along your credit profile in a positive direction. Trust me ... been there and done that. I almost gave up a year ago and now I am about to close on a brand new house and my credit has been rebuilt to the point where I can get the credit that I need going forward. You can do it too ... and we are here to help you. Hang in there...this too shall pass.

Message 5 of 7
spike69
Frequent Contributor

Doing the police report tonight when I get home. Last ditch. I am just exhausted. Worn out. How do you PROVE that you didn't do something in 2008?????

Message 6 of 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

@spike69 wrote:

Doing the police report tonight when I get home. Last ditch. I am just exhausted. Worn out. How do you PROVE that you didn't do something in 2008?????

The good part about shogun's advice is that you don't have to prove anything. All you have to do is fill out the affadavit that states that it wasn't you who did it. Follow Shogun's instructions and you will be fine.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.