Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Times up!

tag
Zillarex
New Contributor

Times up!

If an account is scheduled to fall off my credit report....does this automatically happen or should I follow up with a letter to the CRA??
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Times up!

@Zillarex wrote:
If an account is scheduled to fall off my credit report....does this automatically happen or should I follow up with a letter to the CRA??

IME it happened automatically but always check and make sure.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Times up!

Be aware that the FCRA does not compel that "accounts" be deleted. It compels the CRA to discontinue the inclusion of any individual adverse item of information in their reporting of the account after its credit report exclusion date.  What are the adverse items reported, and what will remain after expiration of the CR exclusion date? Of course, if the adverse item is a collection, then the entire reporting is, by definition, adverse, and the entire collection would be excluded.  The same is not true of OC accounts.

The CRAs store the dates of adverse items, and use algorithms to identify their dates of exclusion.  If a date has passed and the adverse item is still included in your CR, then contact the CRA and advise them of their apparent non-compliance with FCRA 605(a). The CRA can only base their CR exclusion on the accuracy of dates reported to them, so the issue might turn out to be one of inaccurate reporting of the date of the adverse item by the furnisher of the information.

Dont initially file a formal dispute over their continued inclusion, as that will invoke a dispute resolution process when the issue might not really be one of inaccuracy of reporting, but rather failure of the CRA to comply with their exclusion requirement.  Ask them for the date of record in your credit file for the adverse item that you feel should now have been excluded.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.