Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeshare Foreclosure..Will PFD work? Help Please

tag
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

Timeshare Foreclosure..Will PFD work? Help Please

Hi all,

I purchased a Timeshare in 02 with my ex. We are no longer married and I became stuck with the bill. I could no longer afford it and you know what happened next.

Well fast forward to now and here is where I am as of today (see below): Don't suggest I ask for help from him because that aint happning! Do you think a settlement offer and PFD will work? It is still with the OC of course. TIA

Account TypeConventional Real Estate Loan

Balance$13,100

Date Opened2002

Account StatusOpen

Mo. Payment$167.00

Past Due$7,247.00

Payment StatusForeclosure proceeding started

High Balance

Limit

Terms120 Months

CommentsSubscriber reports dispute resolved - consumer disagrees
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Timeshare Foreclosure..Will PFD work? Help Please

I am currently in the same position and I've been offered a settlement from the OC,  if I pay $3500 they will remove it completely from my reports.  On my credit report it shows that I owe about 10K for the timeshare and 2K for the maintenance fees.  So anything is possible...  

Message 2 of 13
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

bumpSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if SOL expired or if you have the $$$ to PIF if you had to , then you can always try a PFD in full or offer a settlement.

ETA....whether a PFD will work or not is really up to the OC. Some accept PFDs, some are stubborn and takes many tries, and yet others don't accept them at all. Persistence is key.

Message 4 of 13
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

@llecs wrote:

OP, if SOL expired or if you have the $$$ to PIF if you had to , then you can always try a PFD in full or offer a settlement.

ETA....whether a PFD will work or not is really up to the OC. Some accept PFDs, some are stubborn and takes many tries, and yet others don't accept them at all. Persistence is key.

Oh goodness...forget it. Just found out darn thing forclosed.

Message 5 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

SOL isn't based on when you found out about it but rather on DOFD. DOFD is the date you first went late and never recovered. On your CRs you might see a 30 day late, then a 60, 90, 120, etc. That first 30 is the DOFD. Or if no lates listed, EQ, if your report is pulled directly from equifax.com, lists DOFD. EX and TU don't list DOFD but they do list a drop off date usually if you got your reports directly from those websites. Subtract 7 yrs to get DOFD from that drop off date. In some states, DOFD doesn't matter and the SOL clock starts when you last made a payment.

If SOL didn't expire, the reason you want to have the $$$ to PIF if you had to is because if they reject your PFD offer, it might wake them up and they'll try to sue. You can always pay them off and prevent a judgment.

Message 6 of 13
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

OK, I better tell the rest of the story. But before I do, let me say first that I was very scared of OC and am just becoming empowered and taking back control of my credit and my life!

With that said, here goes.

When I was married we bought This around early '02.

We were already separated (dumb move).

I was stuck with payments. Paid well for about 2-3 years then just couldn't handle it with everything else that came with divorce. DOFD 4/05. (although honestly when I think about it, I think it was earlier than This-can they manipulate This???????)

Did a voluntary settlement (I think it tech was repo or foreclose, idk whatever it was I was not wise and just plain scared so I agreed), paid roughly 1,500. After about a year Started getting harassed, learned they said they needed notarized paperwork signed by me and ex  which I did not know was needed. Started the whole voluntary settlement again. This time paid about 2,500. Sent paperwork. Late '09 AGAIN claim they did not receive notarized copy with both me and my ex's sig (he lives out of state)..Saw re-sent.

Found it on EX recently. Disputed. Came back verified updated foreclosure proceedings Started.Smiley Surprised Looked up on county website where property is located last night. Already went through foreclosure 2/10. Florida SOL:

Florida Statutes of Limitation

Contract or written instrument and for mortgage foreclosure: 5 years. F.S. 95.11.

The limitations period begins from the date the last element of the cause of action occurred, (95.051). NOTE: The limitation period is tolled (stopped) for any period during which the debtor is absent from the state and each time a voluntary payment is made on a debt arising from a written instrument.

Almost all other actions fall under the 4-year catch-all limitations period, (F.S. 95.11(3)(p)).

I guess I think I am at a total loss at this now or I just don't understand what to do next. I feel I got screwed but of course this was my fault.    

BE WISE YOUNG ONES!! BE WISE!!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@epigurl4credit wrote:

OK, I better tell the rest of the story. But before I do, let me say first that I was very scared of OC and am just becoming empowered and taking back control of my credit and my life!

With that said, here goes.

When I was married we bought This around early '02.

We were already separated (dumb move).

I was stuck with payments. Paid well for about 2-3 years then just couldn't handle it with everything else that came with divorce. DOFD 4/05. (although honestly when I think about it, I think it was earlier than This-can they manipulate This???????)

Did a voluntary settlement (I think it tech was repo or foreclose, idk whatever it was I was not wise and just plain scared so I agreed), paid roughly 1,500. After about a year Started getting harassed, learned they said they needed notarized paperwork signed by me and ex  which I did not know was needed. Started the whole voluntary settlement again. This time paid about 2,500. Sent paperwork. Late '09 AGAIN claim they did not receive notarized copy with both me and my ex's sig (he lives out of state)..Saw re-sent.

Found it on EX recently. Disputed. Came back verified updated foreclosure proceedings Started.Smiley Surprised Looked up on county website where property is located last night. Already went through foreclosure 2/10. Florida SOL:

Florida Statutes of Limitation

Contract or written instrument and for mortgage foreclosure: 5 years. F.S. 95.11.

The limitations period begins from the date the last element of the cause of action occurred, (95.051). NOTE: The limitation period is tolled (stopped) for any period during which the debtor is absent from the state and each time a voluntary payment is made on a debt arising from a written instrument.

Almost all other actions fall under the 4-year catch-all limitations period, (F.S. 95.11(3)(p)).

I guess I think I am at a total loss at this now or I just don't understand what to do next. I feel I got screwed but of course this was my fault.    

BE WISE YOUNG ONES!! BE WISE!!

Pay attention to this part they were suckering you into resetting it. 

Do you have those two pieces of paper in question ... what was actually on the paperwork that you signed thinking it was an agreement to end further collection of the debt.  Sounds like it could have been missing key components of a valid written contract.  Can't tell for sure only you know what exactly was on it. Like what is being agreed to a Signature on thier end letterhead.

That notorize stuff is bs that only is for proof that you signed it but they took payment anyway.  You need proof that they signed and agreed to the contract.

My only advice for you and anyone reading this is that if you're gonna agree to something make sure everything is in the letter (i.e letterhead sig whatever) and pay in check and by no other means if you haven't already.  Pay in check and notate the stipulation on the assigned line for what you intending to make the  payment for.

Your financial institution will have a photocopy upon request of the written check if you provide the number of the check and willing to pay a small fee.  They agree to the stipulation if they cash the check. 

For instance if you notate that this settlement is for what the money is for they cannot cash it and claim that you both agreed that it was a payment on the existing balance because there will be record showing they are lying.  Which is probably what they going to play in this case.  We were under the assumption she was paying her existing balance so we can update her cr as being paid in full or some other b.s.  They have the option not to cash the check or to cash and agree to the stipulation but they cannot claim ignorance once it is in writing.

Message 8 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you are well within SOL based on when you last paid. I'd wait it out and save for a settlement.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

Looks like you are well within SOL based on when you last paid. I'd wait it out and save for a settlement.

I think she thought she was settling the first time she made payment.  I think her issue is proving that both parties agreed to a settlement.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.