Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for a quick credit boost?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tips for a quick credit boost?

I'm trying to increase my credit score as quickly as possible because I need to find a new apartment in June.  I've been working like crazy over the last week to fix my credit. Currently, my FICO-8 scores are 581(Ex), 586 (Eq), 605 (TU).  I have one credit card with capital one with a $500 limit and 10 months history - never been late.  I have $28,000 in student loans.  I have 4 years of history on an auto loan.  My scores are counting 8 collections, mostly from 2011/2012, but one is from 6 months ago.  This last week I've cleaned up these collections quite a bit.  I did a PFD on the new one from 6 months ago.  I also did 3 more PFDs on old collections, and got a goodwill removal of an old paid collection from 2011.  When the dust settles I'll just have 3 collections, two paid.  The unpaid collection is a comcast $60 bill for equipment I believe I returned.  Lastly, I have 4 charged off credit cards from 2012 all of which have been settled.  I'm trying to get goodwill removals of these, but so far no luck.

I'm thinking that I should get one or two more credit cards and/or be added as an authorized user on my fiance's AMEX card which she's had for about a year.  Is it better to get another card or be an authorized user? Would either provide a score increase by June?

Any other feedback is most appreciated!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Re: Tips for a quick credit boost?

Which CAP1 card do you have? Have you requested a CLI in the 10 months that you have had the card? Checked CAP1 to see if your prequalified for another card?

Capital One Prequalify

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization -- pay down open debt (or raise limits) -- paying down util has given me great boosts so far.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to increase my credit score as quickly as possible because I need to find a new apartment in June.  I've been working like crazy over the last week to fix my credit. Currently, my FICO-8 scores are 581(Ex), 586 (Eq), 605 (TU).  I have one credit card with capital one with a $500 limit and 10 months history - never been late.  I have $28,000 in student loans.  I have 4 years of history on an auto loan.  My scores are counting 8 collections, mostly from 2011/2012, but one is from 6 months ago.  This last week I've cleaned up these collections quite a bit.  I did a PFD on the new one from 6 months ago.  I also did 3 more PFDs on old collections, and got a goodwill removal of an old paid collection from 2011.  When the dust settles I'll just have 3 collections, two paid.  The unpaid collection is a comcast $60 bill for equipment I believe I returned.  Lastly, I have 4 charged off credit cards from 2012 all of which have been settled.  I'm trying to get goodwill removals of these, but so far no luck.

I'm thinking that I should get one or two more credit cards and/or be added as an authorized user on my fiance's AMEX card which she's had for about a year.  Is it better to get another card or be an authorized user? Would either provide a score increase by June?

Any other feedback is most appreciated!

Two more cards will help, don't bother with the AU thing, not likely to help much. Three cards and keep UTI down and on one card only - thats the key to higher scores.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AutoBot wrote:

Which CAP1 card do you have? Have you requested a CLI in the 10 months that you have had the card? Checked CAP1 to see if your prequalified for another card?

Capital One Prequalify

I currently have the Capital One Platinum card.  I haven't asked for a CLI because the myFico simulator said it wouldn't increase my score, no matter how high of an increase I simulated.  I checked the link you sent me and they suggested the platinum card and the QuicksilverOne card, which has a $40 dollar yearly fee. 

I'm wondering if I should wait until those removed collections reflect on my score to see if I can prequalifly for better cards.  What do you guys think?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilization -- pay down open debt (or raise limits) -- paying down util has given me great boosts so far.

My utilization is currently very low, but I guess it wont hurt to ask for a CLI increase.  

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Two more cards will help, don't bother with the AU thing, not likely to help much. Three cards and keep UTI down and on one card only - thats the key to higher scores.

Ok, thanks for the input!

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a call from Credit One bank.  They are deleting my chargeoff!!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AutoBot wrote:

Capital One Prequalify

I currently have the Capital One Platinum card.  I haven't asked for a CLI because the myFico simulator said it wouldn't increase my score, no matter how high of an increase I simulated.  I checked the link you sent me and they suggested the platinum card and the QuicksilverOne card, which has a $40 dollar yearly fee. 

I'm wondering if I should wait until those removed collections reflect on my score to see if I can prequalifly for better cards.  What do you guys think?

The simulators are fun to play with (sometimes) but they don't reflect the other tangibles that having larger CL's give you. You should absolutely check for a CLI (But I don't know how long you've had the card.). Higher CL's go a long way toward getting better accts and higher limits down the road. The immediate impact you are looking for from the simulator is only a very myopic view of the total picture.

If you've had the Plat. for over 3mths then try this, login and go to Live Chat. Tell the CS agent you are seeking a CLI. After the 3rd statement you shold qualify. Either way (if it's yes or no) ask them if you have any offers available on your account. They should tell you that you have an offer to upgrade you Plat to a QS. (1.5% cash back on all purchases and no AF). Take it. You should come out of the chat with a CLI and a Prime acct CC.

IF I were you I'd go ahead and get the QS1 as well. These 2 CC's will go along way

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@AutoBot wrote:

Capital One Prequalify

The simulators are fun to play with (sometimes) but they don't reflect the other tangibles that having larger CL's give you. You should absolutely check for a CLI (But I don't know how long you've had the card.). Higher CL's go a long way toward getting better accts and higher limits down the road. The immediate impact you are looking for from the simulator is only a very myopic view of the total picture.

If you've had the Plat. for over 3mths then try this, login and go to Live Chat. Tell the CS agent you are seeking a CLI. After the 3rd statement you shold qualify. Either way (if it's yes or no) ask them if you have any offers available on your account. They should tell you that you have an offer to upgrade you Plat to a QS. (1.5% cash back on all purchases and no AF). Take it. You should come out of the chat with a CLI and a Prime acct CC.

IF I were you I'd go ahead and get the QS1 as well. These 2 CC's will go along way

Worked like you said. I now have a Quicksilver card.  Just out of curiousity, for my second card why do you suggest QS1 over Platinum?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.